SDS100/SDS200: Antenna Upgrade...

nessnet

Premium Subscriber

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Depending upon signal strength of the air traffic, VHF and UHF agencies you listen to the Remtronix 800 MHz antenna could work for you. It’s what I use because those other non-800 MHz agencies I listen to are strong. The antenna is shorter than the REM-842S SMA Remtronix portable triband antenna so it’s less obtrusive. If you find you need a better antenna for the VHF and UHF agencies you monitor try the REM-842S. If that antenna doesn’t do the job there are other longer portable radio whips you could try. I’ve collected an assortment of ham and scanner antennas over the years, both stock and aftermarket that tout various claims. Basically, it’s what you will tolerate in the length of the antenna and how much white noise you can stand. That little speaker does a great job for what it is but it’s small. And the white noise can be rather annoying, causing the need for an external larger speaker. You still get the same amount of white noise but its pitch becomes more tolerable the larger the speaker.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
If Remtronix is producing an 800MHz/UHF antenna wouldn’t the VHF Band also see an improved resonance? Just spitballing here. (My SDS100 uses the Remtronix single band 800MHz antenna and performs well on the VHF/UHF Bands (due to my being fortunate, all I want to monitor on VHF/UHF are local, strong signal agencies. But your needs may require reception of not-so-strong signaled agencies).

doc62

The 920S is supposed to have the gasket as well. I’ll let you know how it does once it arrives and I get to test it.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
I am a bit confused..isn't the 920S taking a step back compared to the 842S?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 842S is a tri band antenna, where has the 920S is only a dual band antenna?

I usually equate numbers as "Higher is better", but in this case, I may be sadly mistaken.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
The Remtronix is the best for 700-900 Mhz, it is the same as the old RadioShack 800 Mhz antenna which works great.

I recently purchased a few of these from this seller. Cheap price and they've worked extremely well across the board for me.. for only 10 bucks. Good build quality too-

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
The Remtronix 920S are now in stock at Scannermaster.com
That thing is 9 inches long...wow! If they ever come out with an all band stubby antenna I'd be all in. I'm into being low profile, than having a broom stick attached to my scanner.

"Hey, what's what thing sticking out of your pocket sir or are you just happy to see me?" :LOL:

donc13

Premium Subscriber
That thing is 9 inches long...wow! If they ever come out with an all band stubby antenna I'd be all in. I'm into being low profile, than having a broom stick attached to my scanner.

"Hey, what's what thing sticking out of your pocket sir or are you just happy to see me?" :LOL:
Ahhh.. 39.5cm = 15.5"

Model: RH771S
Frequency band: dual band VHF/UHF
Antenna type: soft antenna
Frequency: 144/430MHz
Gain: 2.15dBi (144 MHz), 3.0 dBi (430 MHz)
Maximum power: 10W
VSWR: less than 1.5
Impedance: 50 ohms
Connector: BNC
Length: about 39.5CM

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
I am a bit confused..isn't the 920S taking a step back compared to the 842S?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the 842S is a tri band antenna, where has the 920S is only a dual band antenna?

I usually equate numbers as "Higher is better", but in this case, I may be sadly mistaken.

The fewer bands an antenna covers the better it will perform on those bands over an antenna that covers more bands.

Those are just the laws of physics and so far nobody has found out how to break them. :cool:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲

There was this one by Comet, that is now discontinued according to one site? Not able to confirm that. It seemed to have good reports on 700-900Mhz. Some people were disappointed in its performance, others raved about it.

Still available on Amazon, pricey for what it is

CH-32 Comet Original 144/440/900 MHz Tri-Band Miracle Baby Handheld Antenna - BNC Connector https://a.co/d/j5ySRAV

a727469

Premium Subscriber
There was this one by Comet, that is now discontinued according to one site? Not able to confirm that. It seemed to have good reports on 700-900Mhz. Some people were disappointed in its performance, others raved about it.

CH-32 Comet Original 144/440/900 MHz Tri-Band Miracle Baby Handheld Antenna - BNC Connector Amazon.com
I guess with the size of this they have overcome what joebearcat said about physics!!😉. Only kidding..I had a similar antenna years ago and it was pretty useless. Just Ok on a local 800 but like an attenuator on anything lower .
This is the original diamond 77
and a very good one.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber

CH-32 Comet Original 144/440/900 MHz Tri-Band Miracle Baby Handheld Antenna - BNC Connector Amazon.com
I'd buy one with an O ring, multi-band specifically for the SDS100. I much prefer being low profile.

Aviation_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have the 842S? Does it perform well over the three bands it supports?

Asking because that is the one I am thinking about buying.