Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJJIGGLER

Premium Subscriber
I have the BCD 396XT and i was wondering whats are some good antenna upgrades out there for it?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I have the BCD 396XT and i was wondering whats are some good antenna upgrades out there for it?

This is my favorite. I bough it back in the 90's and have had it on half a dozen different scanners.

Receive range: 118-160MHz, 250-290MHz, 360-390MHz, 420-470MHz, 820-960MHz, 1260-1300MHz.

It does great on 800/VHF/UHF and is less than 2 inches tall. It is widely used on test equipment like frequency counters.

It comes with the SMA (fits the 396) or BNC connectors. ( I use the BNC because I connect/disconnect my 396T to a mobile antenna while on the road.). :lol:

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I use the Radio Shack RS800 antenna with good results. Keep in mind you'll need the supplied BNC adapter.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Diamond Ant. even comes with SMA base

Here is what i use on my 396XT this is an amazing antenna for not alot of money..i bought 2 cause i was so impressed with the 1st one i bought.(it is a 2m/440 HAM ant. but has recieve capibilities up to 900mhz)Click below to see
Diamond® Antenna ~ SRH77CA Dualband HT Antenna

Last edited:

DJJIGGLER

Premium Subscriber
So you are looking for a base antenna to mount outside?

Dont think i want to go that far, but is there anything that i could put in my window or something? that would get me better range?

Im pretty noobish in radio stuff right now

n5ims

Remember that antennas are frequency (or more generally band) dependent, not radio or transmission type (digital, analog, etc. are the same to an antenna, but VHF-Low, VHF-Hi, UHF, and 800 MHz bands are different to an antenna). A great antenna for 800 MHz will probably work well on 800 MHz systems on both a Uniden and a GRE scanner, but may work very poorly on either scanner when trying to pick up a signal on 30 MHz.

If you can let us know what band(s) you're mainly interested (in priority order if you have more than one band) you'll probably get some good recommendations. Without this information we can only guess and our favorite may work well for the band we listen to, but work very poorly in your favourite band.

ab8sn

Premium Subscriber
Another vote for the Diamond. I have two of them and they are very nice antennas. As others have mentioned they are a little long.

73s

Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.