ANTENNA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
It'll certainly work better than the stock antenna, especially if you put it outside.

No matter what the advertisement says, it is not going to be a good performer on anything below the VHF High band. It's just too short to work on VHF Low band.

Create a good ground plane for it by sticking it on a steel sheet at least 36 inches in diameter. Baking sheets are often suggested, but any conductive metal will do the trick. Ferrous metals will make the magnet stick, but it's not required for it to work. Even a piece of cardboard covered with aluminum foil will help.

That's kind of a high price, for what it is, even figuring in the exchange rate for us down here south of the border.

Should work well on VHF, UHF and 800mHz. It'll even have some gain on UHF and above, so it would technically outperform a discone on those frequencies. Discones are really not the best antennas, the real advantage to them is the extremely wide bandwidth.

se

Thanks. Im really thinking on getting the Watson antenna because I had a similar Watson antenna that I just mounted right on top of the BCD996XT that I used to have. I loved how it improved the signal in general. Im still open to more opinions though.

Sheldon.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
It depends greatly on which bands you want to monitor. A wide band antenna is a poor choice if you're only monitoring one band, ie; 800MHz.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Would a discone type antenna being installed in an attic be possible? I've got a couple over my garage and they do a pretty good job at bringing in distant signals.

Status
Not open for further replies.