Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

snipe25

I'm looking for info on antennas for the homepatrol1. I would like to pick up transmissions of places that are close to me but come in with a lil static. If I should be looking for an outdoor antenna or if there is an indoor one with the right connection that works a lil better than the one that comes with the scanner. Thanks

mciupa

Try the RadioShack 800 MHz antenna with a right angle connector if you want to move around. Buy a discone for all-band coverage if you want to put one up outdoors.

snipe25

Thanks for the info. One question does the 800 mhz have the correct connector or is there more pieces to purchase if so what would they be? Have u ever heard or used the Diamond SRH-789? Sorry if this question is simple I'm new to this. Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. One question does the 800 mhz have the correct connector or is there more pieces to purchase if so what would they be? Have u ever heard or used the Diamond SRH-789? Sorry if this question is simple I'm new to this. Thanks
I have tried the SRH-789 on my Home Patrol. It's better than the stock antenna, but IMHO, there's other antennas I would use over it. I connected the 789 to my HP-1, which has the Extreme upgrade, then used the RF Power Plot choice under the Analyze systems menu to compare reception using the SRH-789 (at the suggested lengths marked on it, as well as adjusting it slightly longer and shorter) with several other antennas.

The 789 is an acceptable choice, if you are mainly interested in one band. It does have the advantage of coming in an SMA version, and has the swivel base, so no right angle adapter needed. But there are better options from what I saw, if reception strength is your concern. The Diamond RH77CA was better on Vhf-high and Uhf. (A similar antenna, sold under the name of the "Gainer", is equivalent to the RH771. I have one of those as well. No real difference between it & the RH77CA.) The Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna is what I'm mostly using, when I'm not connecting the HP to an external (roof mounted) antenna. It has better reception on the multiple trunked systems in the area than the 789 or the other two antennas (or the original), good Uhf reception, and acceptable Vhf-high. If your primary interest is 800Mhz, then the R/S antenna is your best bet. For Vhf-high, one of the Diamond antennas, or something else more tailored for that frequency band, would be better. Be sure to check out the posts in the Antennas forum for other suggestions.

For any antenna but the SMA version of the SRH-789, you would need an adapter, as Larry already noted. I'm using the SMA male to BNC female adapter (item 0292 on this page). It's low profile, and the black color matches up with the Home Patrol's case. Then, you also need a right angle BNC adapter; you can pick this one up at Radio Shack. (You can find similar adapters elsewhere on the web as well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.