Any Base Scanner w/ top mounted speaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ch1ronTL34

the uniden 996T has "upside down mode" where the LCD display can be inverted so you can place the radio upside down, have the speaker facing up, and still read the display

af5rn

I wouldn't swear to it, but I believe the Bearcat BC898T has a top fire speaker. It's predecessor, the BC890xlt has a top fire speaker, and aesthetically they are about identical. Nice scanner at a good price. Only thing it really lacks is digital and alpha tagging, both of which most people can live without.

E-Man

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I believe alot of the older RS Base units are top fired.

ryangassxx

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You ask a very valid question.

I'd like to know why top mounted would be of value to you though?

I think I know why, because I have the same problem with speaker position on base scanners.. It drives me nuts when the speaker is on the BOTTOM!! I mean, what an engineering brain fart that is...

CStarr59

I have a pro-433 and the bottom firing speaker is a pain and IMO a poor design. I hooked a small uniden speaker to it and mounted it on top, and it is much better now. I guess it's just a personal preference, but to me the speaker placement and sound quality can be a major decision during purchasing a base scanner.

KC0QNB

This is indeed a strange thread, simple solution buy an external speaker, put it where YOU want it, also you may be amazed how much better an external speaker sounds when compared to that tiny 1-1/2 to 2" speaker sounds like, to quote an old tv commercial "Try it you'll like it".
Of course you can always get an amplified external speaker, very handy with a small hand held scanner, trust me, you can actually hear the audio on the other side of the room and understand it. You already spend hundreds of dollars for a scanner spend an extra 20 or 30.
Apart of the Texas ranger logo, does this one remind anyone of anything?
http://www.walcottcb.com/ranger-sra168gb-gray-external-speaker-metal-case-loud-p-105.html

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
Icom V8000

Not a scanner, but my Icom V8000 has a front fired speaker, which is fantastic.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Just a thought!

A lot of the scanners that have bottom mounted speakers are also made to be mounted. This being either in a mobile or under a desk shelf or something. That is the only way the bottom sounding speakers could even begin to make any sense, when mounted. Thats the only thing I can think of as to why they would place it underneath instead of on top. Personaly, I use external speakers no matter what. So even if they put the dam thing in the rear next to the bnc jack it wont make a difference to me. I LOVE my external speakers...

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.