Anything there?

dickinj

Is there anything to listen to these days with an analog scanner in the frequency ranges 30 - 50, 148 - 174, 450 - 512, and 800 - 950 MHz? Has everybody moved to digital/trunking systems or cell phones, leaving nothing to hear on the analog side in these ranges? Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Joe

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I'm fortunate enough to live where the public service frequencies are analog and in the clear in the 800 MHz range. Also, since south Tampa is surrounded on 3 sides by water the marine frequencies in the 150 - 160 MHz range are quite busy as well. The day to day life of the tugboat operators is interesting to say the least, and their conduct on the air is always very respectful and clean. There is a 49 MHz baby monitor frequency I receive every night after work which must be from the block behind us, everyone on our block has known each other for years. I guess the baby monitor has been operating for a long time, when this boy's dad gets home the two of them play with the kid's model railroad. He has a thousand railroad questions each night and dad answers them all. It's kind of heartwarming actually.

nd5y

Is there anything to listen to these days with an analog scanner in the frequency ranges 30 - 50, 148 - 174, 450 - 512, and 800 - 950 MHz?
What you can hear depens on your location.
Has everybody moved to digital/trunking systems or cell phones, leaving nothing to hear on the analog side in these ranges?
Where? What do you mean by everybody? What do you want to listen to?
Even if all public safety users in a particular area are on an encrypted trunked system there will always be various other unencrypted analog users.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Is there anything to listen to these days with an analog scanner in the frequency ranges 30 - 50, 148 - 174, 450 - 512, and 800 - 950 MHz? Has everybody moved to digital/trunking systems or cell phones, leaving nothing to hear on the analog side in these ranges? Thoughts please.

Thanks,
Joe
Yes there still is a lot of analog signals to monitor within the bands that you listed.

dickinj

Thanks very much to everyone who responded. I really appreciate your insights and suggestions.