AR-DV1 AOR DV1 POWER BRICK ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

My AOR DV 1 is about 6 years old now, but the accompanying power supply (Part No. AA8600UL, Model D12-10) has starting misbehaving lately. The first indication was a loud background hum on many of the analog UHF frequencies that I monitor in the 470 - 512 range. I swapped the power supply out with a much less expensive 12v supply, and the hum was gone. Several hours later, I tried the original supply again and all was well, for a while.

Anther interesting anomaly which has been occurring for some time now is that with the original power brick, when I first boot up the DV1, there would be a noticeable hum out of the speaker for about 5 seconds, but then all was well. This has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I have repositioned the wire from the power brick to the radio to see if I was picking up some stay RF, but not the case.

So I guess the question is, from any experience those may have had regarding replacing the power supply, what would be the best option? I see what appears to be someone selling new AA8600UL's on EBay for about 52.00. Is there a better alternative?

Any other thoughts appreciated.

G7HID

I found my DV1 ran quite warm when powered by the original PSU, so for shack use I power the DV1 from an ancient 3A ex CB PSU, with the voltage wound down from 13.5 to 12Vdc. It has been running like this for a few years now with no problems and at an acceptable temperature..

Mike

ChrisP

Premium Subscriber
MStep, I also had some odd behavior with my DV-1 in my first few months of running it. And, I will second what G7HID said - When I got my DV-1, I noticed that the original power supply ran very warm. I swapped it out for a larger supply with more current capability and have had no issues. All of the oddball behaviors I believe were related to the AOR provided supply.

- Chris

marlbrook

Premium Subscriber
The AOR supplied power supply has never been very good. It is a cheap 'switched mode' design, and these die regularly, and put out RF interference. For example I have 10 WiFi cameras for security. Their 'switch mode' supplies die often.

I have always used 'linear' power supplies whenever possible in the Shack. Mine can supply up to 30 amps, and I connect all my Radio equipment to it. Although 40 years old now, is still sold in the U.K. (but not in U.S.) and it is still going strong, so although a 'linear' 'may' be more expensive not only is it more versatile in that lots of devices can all be connected at the same time depending on its 'current' rating, but in the long run the cost evens itself out very quickly.

Linear supplies use a large transformer so are bigger and heavier, but very reliable and long lasting. You would not need as much as a 30 amp output.

SO my advice, find a 'liner' supply, to run the DV1 and avoid any described as 'switched' or 'switch mode' if possible.

MStep

The AOR supplied power supply has never been very good. It is a cheap 'switched mode' design, and these die regularly, and put out RF interference. For example I have 10 WiFi cameras for security. Their 'switch mode' supplies die often.

I have always used 'linear' power supplies whenever possible in the Shack. Mine can supply up to 30 amps, and I connect all my Radio equipment to it. Although 40 years old now, is still sold in the U.K. (but not in U.S.) and it is still going strong, so although a 'linear' 'may' be more expensive not only is it more versatile in that lots of devices can all be connected at the same time depending on its 'current' rating, but in the long run the cost evens itself out very quickly.

Linear supplies use a large transformer so are bigger and heavier, but very reliable and long lasting. You would not need as much as a 30 amp output.

SO my advice, find a 'liner' supply, to run the DV1 and avoid any described as 'switched' or 'switch mode' if possible.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I have a similar large and heavy duty power supply that I use to power some of my equipment, but not the DV1. Since I take the DV1 on road trips to be used as a base station at other locations, I am looking for a replacement "wall-wart". If I am thinking correctly, and if your power supply is anything like my "base station" supply, it probably weighs more than the DV1 itself.

Something similar in size and weigh (or smaller and lighter) than the power supply that ships with the DV1 would be adaquate. If you or anyone else has had success with a replacement "wall-wart" type, those recommendations would be appreciated.

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
My AOR DV 1 is about 6 years old now, but the accompanying power supply (Part No. AA8600UL, Model D12-10) has starting misbehaving lately. The first indication was a loud background hum on many of the analog UHF frequencies that I monitor in the 470 - 512 range. I swapped the power supply out with a much less expensive 12v supply, and the hum was gone. Several hours later, I tried the original supply again and all was well, for a while.

Anther interesting anomaly which has been occurring for some time now is that with the original power brick, when I first boot up the DV1, there would be a noticeable hum out of the speaker for about 5 seconds, but then all was well. This has been going on for as long as I can remember.

I have repositioned the wire from the power brick to the radio to see if I was picking up some stay RF, but not the case.

So I guess the question is, from any experience those may have had regarding replacing the power supply, what would be the best option? I see what appears to be someone selling new AA8600UL's on EBay for about 52.00. Is there a better alternative?

hello.. well my dv-1 gets warm when i use 50% or 100 % screen, also i see light horizontal line across the screen, using 12v direct DC from a battery and things change. still will lock up in time. I wondered if this radio's adjustments are only via the firmware. 73's

richard4537312

Premium Subscriber
Check you antenna and it connections. I've got a DV-1, about the same age as yours. Mine had sat idle for at least a couple of years, until I cranked it up about a week ago. After several hours of operation, I got the same loud hum, likewise on UHF frequencies. Fearing that an AC current had somehow reached my outdoor antenna or coax, I immediately disconnected the BNC connector. The hum continued. I decided to re-connect the antenna. As soon as the grounds of the male and female BNC's touched, the hum stopped. I've since cleaned both BNC's, and inspected the grounding of my antenna. The hum has not been heard again.

K2QWQ1

Premium Subscriber

Just me but I use only transformer wall warts, never switchers for every thing as some switchers make a lot of noise in other receivers as well as the one connected. Less circuitry to fail also.

Doug K2QWQ

k8ble

HAM, ATV'ER, MOTOROLER XTS 2500 Q52.Q53. Q811,H02
Premium Subscriber
well I'm trying to decide whether to just add coil filters or find a better wall wart... any help out there...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.