AOR SA7000

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I took the bait and paid the price and I was disappointed. It's OK at everything but not good at anything. I think you'd be better off with a good discone antenna. Is is small and visibly low profile if that's a concern.

Turbo68

I had one long time ago performance on the airbands was okay but its not built to with stand strong winds mine end it up getting damaged but i have an Icom SA-7000 discone which is excellent on the airbands had it for 20 years never had a problem its been replaced by the Icom SA-8000 and you also get 15 metres of Icom 5D-2V thick coax cable had other discones from aor,comet,diamond but there not as good as the icom specially on the airbands...

Regards Lino...

zero2sixty

Banned
Banned
Has anyone tried this antenna for scanner/receiver? Just looking for options on a wide band antenna for my Icom R30.

Some say the fact that it uses an SO239 at the base severely degrades signals from 500 MHz and above is a deal breaker. The brick thing. iMONITOR said it best as it performance is subpar for the price. Turbo68 hit's the nail on the head about it being unwieldy and fails miserably in high wind or areas prone to icing. I always wondered if an Austin Ferret and an Apex 303WA2 attached to a combiner on separate mast would be worth the money, time and effort.

prcguy

The AOR SA7000 is a standard antenna supplied to commercial broadcast stations for their Emergency Alert System receivers that pick the EAS broadcasts from AM, FM or NOAA weather stations, for rebroadcast over TV, etc. I had to install one and was not happy with its construction or performance and rebuilt it with a tuned dipole for 100MHz and 162MHz, leaving the 6ft whip intact for AM broadcast pickup. The FM broadcast and 162Mhz weather channels increased a lot after the rebuild and the original VHF/UHF whip didn't resonate anywhere near the FM broadcast or 162Mhz range.

I also picked up an SA7000 used cheap to copy the transformer they use for the VLF/HF side. That part seems to work ok for a small passive antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.