APCO-25 Phase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

REDave

A Phase II system can support Phase I radios without any problems.

They could upgrade the system at any time and agencies could migrate as money permits.

The only problem is all the backbone or base radios are Phase I. They would all have to be replaced with Phase II equipment. Talking BIG BUCKS. Also if a talkgroup is set to Phase II, Phase I mobiles and portables will not work on that talkgroup. This would be an administrative nightmare.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
So a Gold Elite or earlier MCC 7500 console will not support X2-TDMA?
If so, does the presence of a Gold Elite Terminal on a talkgroup that is solely occupied by APX subscribers automatically slave the voice to FDMA? For example, my agency has migrated completely to APX portables, and in 2 years will be on strictly APX mobiles with the exception of about 10 STR radios. If one of our tactical talkgroups is only occupied by portables, but our dispatch uses Gold Elites, will the talkgroup be X2-TDMA or revert back to FDMA?

REDave

So a Gold Elite or earlier MCC 7500 console will not support X2-TDMA?
If so, does the presence of a Gold Elite Terminal on a talkgroup that is solely occupied by APX subscribers automatically slave the voice to FDMA? For example, my agency has migrated completely to APX portables, and in 2 years will be on strictly APX mobiles with the exception of about 10 STR radios. If one of our tactical talkgroups is only occupied by portables, but our dispatch uses Gold Elites, will the talkgroup be X2-TDMA or revert back to FDMA?

The ARMER System backbone currently is FDMA, for the system to work X2-TDMA, the whole backbone needs to be upgraded to X2-TDMA. It is my understanding that a talkgroup can work either FDMA or X2-TDMA, but not both. That being the case TAC,Regional and Statewide talkgroups would have to stay FDMA until all subscribers of those talkgroups have radios that are X2-TDMA. My understanding is the MCC7500's can be upgraded, not sure about Gold Elite. I heard it will cost about $300,000,000.00 to upgrade plus labor for the backbone. That dose not include subscriber equipment. So I don't think ARMER will be doing X2-TDMA very soon unless Motorola wants to flip the bill.

Last edited:

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
Geez, Kb, why do gotta be smart, and right, and stuff ;)

I nearly chimed in, but figured you would do it better.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
OK I stand corrected on the talkgroup thing. but they still need to upgrade backbone and console stuff.

Hey RED, Just wanted to say, my comment was intended to make kb chuckle, not to be condescending. (After re-reading it I went, oooooh that could sound different then I meant it.)

kb0uxv

Thanks N0WEF, I did learn something new from the above link, I thought our current version would support X2 now, since there are a bunch of settings for this in the current version that are shut off, but it looks like the State would need to go to 7.11 for the operation to be supported, adding more cost to updating the backbone as Dave points out. Many of the new sites do have the equipment to support X2 now however (GTR series), so everything would not need to be replaced.

N0WEF

Premium Subscriber
I got to learn something today too...

I had read documents listing things as "on-line" or "on-air" but going through other documents it explains that, using new towers as an example, they haven't even been built, but are listed as "on-air" due to an old tower being there and "on-air" (Even though it says the new one is "on-air")

(Basically, some Docs. make it look like more has been upgraded then what has been.)

Oh-well, I'm completely confused now lol!

Last edited:

KC0FZZ

Sorry to rehash something, but wouldn't this be a crime? I can't remember off the top of my head if it's State, or Fed law. But I seem to remember it's illegal to use a scanner in commission of a crime, and it's illegal to disclose the communications heard to a third party.

Just thinking it would be nice to get that HP1 "off the streets." Not to mention the "gentleman" who chose to help/aide his lowlife friend.

I also seem to remember a statute that makes "informing a suject of police surveillence that they are under investigation" illegal, if not a felony.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.