APRS voice alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
No. Once voice alert is selected the TNC does the work with the CTCSS tone. Keep the volume up a shade on the side you run APRS on. When you hear a data burst, check your station list to see who may be on 146.52 (Or a local repeater), or you can just go to 52 and call a CQ.

I run it here, and although I've heard hundreds of packets, I've never made a contact..

Okay with voice alert activated, I still note that I have to use the squelch or the tnc won't transmit. So with this in mind, how close does someone need to be to break both the squelch and for the radio to capture tone? I think I am missing something here though I've gone over the information at aprs.org several times now. Don't think I ever did this with the 700 when I had it up and running.

Mark

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Okay with voice alert activated, I still note that I have to use the squelch or the tnc won't transmit. So with this in mind, how close does someone need to be to break both the squelch and for the radio to capture tone? I think I am missing something here though I've gone over the information at aprs.org several times now. Don't think I ever did this with the 700 when I had it up and running.

Mark

That all depends on your setup, and how much power the other op is running.. I run a Diamond SG-7900a on my 710.. I hear packets from up to about 20-30 miles away on a good day.

I keep the squelch just above the busy light so that the TNC is happy.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
That all depends on your setup, and how much power the other op is running.. I run a Diamond SG-7900a on my 710.. I hear packets from up to about 20-30 miles away on a good day.

I keep the squelch just above the busy light so that the TNC is happy.

Pretty much the same here. So it looks like I have it right then. Guess I'll just have to wait for the aparently very elusive 144.390 CQ.

Mark-aprs K7TKR-14

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
If you're ever up this way and I see ya I'll call you on 52 ;-)

I wish I would have had my 710 when I was over the road.. Would have been great. At the time I was running my IC-2720/TinyTrak 3+ on the same SG-7900A antenna..

Now I'm local only and don't have time for radio..

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Okay with voice alert activated, I still note that I have to use the squelch or the tnc won't transmit. So with this in mind, how close does someone need to be to break both the squelch and for the radio to capture tone?
Yes, the squelch has to be closed in order for the TM-D710 to transmit an APRS beacon. That's a design feature of the APRS firmware in the D710 intended to keep the radio from transmitting on top of someone.

The radio is sampling the audio for CTCSS decode at the detector. The incoming signal does not have to strong enough to break the squelch in order for the decoder to detect the tone.

AK9R

Super Moderator
I think someone has got voice alert engaged on his digi.
Please try to identify the offending digi and make an attempt to educate the operator. I ran into one of these in southern Indiana a few years ago. I contacted the operator and let him know why a digi transmitting a 100 Hz was a bad idea. For Voice Alert to be effective, digipeaters must not transmit the tone.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
Please try to identify the offending digi and make an attempt to educate the operator. I ran into one of these in southern Indiana a few years ago. I contacted the operator and let him know why a digi transmitting a 100 Hz was a bad idea. For Voice Alert to be effective, digipeaters must not transmit the tone.

At this moment, I have the digi off. In reading about this new N paradyne ( okay- misspelled that one) apparently running the digi in a mobile set up isn't a good idea. I suppose that one has to make a choice between using voice alert or running the digipeater because of the 100hz tone? Or is the radio software set up not to throw a tone when the digipeater is involved?

Mark

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
If you're ever up this way and I see ya I'll call you on 52 ;-)

I wish I would have had my 710 when I was over the road.. Would have been great. At the time I was running my IC-2720/TinyTrak 3+ on the same SG-7900A antenna..

Now I'm local only and don't have time for radio..

Back in I had the 700 in the truck, I ran across a bunch of fellow truckers- hams- likewise equipped and made a bunch of contacts. That was several years ago. So far, just beacons-some as far as a couple hundred miles. That isn't so good for a qso on 6.52 you know. But in looking at the density maps, I've been running some of the more sparser areas. So maybe that might have something to do with it.

Mark

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
At this moment, I have the digi off. In reading about this new N paradyne ( okay- misspelled that one) apparently running the digi in a mobile set up isn't a good idea. I suppose that one has to make a choice between using voice alert or running the digipeater because of the 100hz tone? Or is the radio software set up not to throw a tone when the digipeater is involved?

Mark

In the 710 the Voice alert tone is only for the audio you hear. It has nothing to do with the TNC decoding packets. It's a slick setup..

AK9R

Super Moderator
At this moment, I have the digi off. In reading about this new N paradyne ( okay- misspelled that one) apparently running the digi in a mobile set up isn't a good idea.
True. Mobile digipeating is generally frowned upon. If the infrastructure moves around, the infrastructure can't be relied upon to move traffic when needed. That said, there are times when you can use your mobile station in a fixed location to provide a temporary digipeater. We do this sometimes during public service events when the fixed digipeaters don't adequately cover a specific area.

Or is the radio software set up not to throw a tone when the digipeater is involved?
Unfortunately, the firmware isn't that smart. If you have Voice Alert enabled and also set up your D710 as a digipeater, it will transmit digipeated packets with the tone.

K7TKR

Premium Subscriber
True. Mobile digipeating is generally frowned upon. If the infrastructure moves around, the infrastructure can't be relied upon to move traffic when needed. That said, there are times when you can use your mobile station in a fixed location to provide a temporary digipeater. We do this sometimes during public service events when the fixed digipeaters don't adequately cover a specific area.

Unfortunately, the firmware isn't that smart. If you have Voice Alert enabled and also set up your D710 as a digipeater, it will transmit digipeated packets with the tone.

This answers a lot of questions so thanks much.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.