• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX APX 7000 Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know if there have been any issues with the antennas for the APX7000 VHF/7-800 GPS not receiving. I have that issue where my radio was having trouble picking up VHF P25 trunking and conventional analog. I swapped antennas with a standard VHF that I use with one of my other radios and the problem went away. I don't know if it was a radio issue or antenna. Both antennas are Moto ones and not some Ebay knock off brand.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
I swapped the Moto antenna on my 7000 to a Diamond antenna and the GPS did not work. No problem with TX/RX analog or P25, but no go on the GPS even when outdoors.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
For some reason my TX/RX on most analog and P25 trunk was very degraded with the moto antenna. I don't use GPS so not to worried about that. The VHF moto antenna off my other radio fixed the problem. Are the APX antennas junk or something with my radio

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
I misunderstood your question on my first response. Perhaps that particular antenna had issues during manufacturing, or developed a problem during use after. Things happen. You noted your radio works fine on VHF using the other antenna, so I do not believe the radio to be the issue.

The antenna labeling you noted is the correct one for that radio, so maybe that antenna is just wonky. An inexpensive VNA to sweep the suspect antenna will cost as much for a new VHF/7-800 GPS antenna.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
The radio is new (old stock). Im thinking its an antenna issue. I put the suspect antenna on one of my old radios (XTS) and that radio had the same issues as the APX. I have not had the APX on a tuner, but Im leaning on a bad antenna. I could be wrong.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Interesting problem, haven't really heard it that much and I've never had any issue with a factory Motorola antenna or an aftermarket antenna on my apx 7000 UHF 2/ 7- 800 megahertz radio

I suppose it is possible to have damage to an antenna regarding connections or maybe shorting out or some other kind of damage that is not apparent.

I would probably look at it as an antenna flaw and not the radio.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
So to review: APX antenna is performing poorly on both the APX as well as the XTS, while the XTS antenna is performing well on both the APX and the XTS? Seems pretty clear that you've got a bum antenna. Replace it with the correct antenna for the radio (NAR6594A).

brndnstffrd

There was a post on another site a while back about something similar to this and the user either xrayed or cut open the antenna. They had found that the antenna had failed internally due to a poor design. I was actually surprised that due to this that this does not occur more often. They had posted pics but the work is not mine and the pics don't belong to me so I will not repost them. Hopefully the user will see this thread and comment with more info.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It's worth noting that there were two APX 7000 VHF/7/800 antenna designs. The original design was 234mm long, while the replacement design (NAR6594A) was a slightly shorter 203mm. The newer, shorter design started appearing at some point in mid-2011.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
So to review: APX antenna is performing poorly on both the APX as well as the XTS, while the XTS antenna is performing well on both the APX and the XTS? Seems pretty clear that you've got a bum antenna. Replace it with the correct antenna for the radio (NAR6594A).

You are correct sir. I was thinking of a bum antenna, but was not sure and figured I would reach out. Ill look at ordering another moto antenna for the APX.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
It's worth noting that there were two APX 7000 VHF/7/800 antenna designs. The original design was 234mm long, while the replacement design (NAR6594A) was a slightly shorter 203mm. The newer, shorter design started appearing at some point in mid-2011.

The one that came with my radio is the 234mm one. Ill see if I can find the newer one.

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I swapped the Moto antenna on my 7000 to a Diamond antenna and the GPS did not work. No problem with TX/RX analog or P25, but no go on the GPS even when outdoors.
Well there is a reason for that, Diamond doesn't have a GPS chip in the antenna base.

northstarfire0693

Premium Subscriber
I know my radio has GPS, but why would I need to use it. Does that have to do with the system or just something you can set your radio to do

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
It can be useful when you want to share your location, as well as observe how far away another operator is when sharing their location as well.

ResQguy, thank you for reaffirming what I discovered after testing.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
The NAR6596A is a fabulous antenna. It is V/700/800/GPS and is 6.5" tall.
I have been using it for years but it doesn't show on MOL as an APX replacement antenna, but it is.

+1 FOR THE NAR6596A. Back when I was rockin twin 7000s, it sure made my V/7/8 radio shorter.
24039622341_d0f89b68cf_b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.