• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APX6000R Talk Permit Tone

JCopelandSC

Premium Subscriber
Hello, my talk permit tone is not working on my APX6000, and I could really use some help getting ti to work.1725559071009.png1725558962795.png

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber

K2NEC

What kind of talk permit tone are we talking about here?

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
In the first screenshot I can't tell if that's from a trunking personality or conventional personality, if it's conventional and you're wanting the talk permit tone it has to be on a P25 repeater with very specific repeater side settings for the radio to give you the grant. I have two ham P25 repeaters near me, both quantars, one will give the grant while the other won't

If it's trunking and you're not getting the tone the only thing I can think of is the mute setting you have for tones, but it looks like in the second screenshot you just have it set to keypad tones so you should still hear the talk permit tone

If you can provide us more details on the system you're trying to program, preferably a link to it in the database we may be able to provide more insight

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
In the first screenshot I can't tell if that's from a trunking personality or conventional personality
Trunking. The TPT in the Features section is a dead giveaway (among other things).

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
Trunking. The TPT in the Features section is a dead giveaway (among other things).
I gotcha, I just know you can do TPT on conventional too now on newer CPS versions and it's also under "Radio Ergo", I haven't dabbled in CPS in a bit so I forgot what the differences in options are

thank you sir o7

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I gotcha, I just know you can do TPT on conventional too now on newer CPS versions and it's also under "Radio Ergo", I haven't dabbled in CPS in a bit so I forgot what the differences in options are

thank you sir o7
Only on p25 digital only. Not analog and you have to be running some latest firmware for that to work.

Motoballa

911 Dispatcher
Premium Subscriber
Only on p25 digital only. Not analog and you have to be running some latest firmware for that to work.
Correct, like I mentioned earlier P25 only - Although do you happen to know what firmware? I have a 7000 on.....27 I think? Below 30 I know that much.. And it works, but I had to use newer CPS to program it. I was under the impression it had to be firmware 30+ in addition to the newer CPS

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I dont have that handy. I want to say 28...

JCopelandSC

Premium Subscriber
In the first screenshot I can't tell if that's from a trunking personality or conventional personality, if it's conventional and you're wanting the talk permit tone it has to be on a P25 repeater with very specific repeater side settings for the radio to give you the grant. I have two ham P25 repeaters near me, both quantars, one will give the grant while the other won't

If it's trunking and you're not getting the tone the only thing I can think of is the mute setting you have for tones, but it looks like in the second screenshot you just have it set to keypad tones so you should still hear the talk permit tone

If you can provide us more details on the system you're trying to program, preferably a link to it in the database we may be able to provide more insight
I was trying to program it to EMS for Charleston County Palmetto 800 Trunking System, Various, South Carolina for CCEMS Ops and CCEMS Dispatch because I am an intern, however, I keep getting the out of range error even though it is not encrypted.

JCopelandSC

Premium Subscriber
Oh boy! I think I’d stop what I was doing right now, you’re in way over your head.
Well, all i want to do is scan it, which is fine according to my supervisor + DCA (deputy county administrator) because there is apps for it but I HATE the ads and I'm not paying for an app lol

K2NEC

Well, all i want to do is scan it, which is fine according to my supervisor + DCA (deputy county administrator) because there is apps for it but I HATE the ads and I'm not paying for an app lol
Here's a crazy idea.... buy a SCANNER, which sole purpose is to SCAN a trunking system

Also if you are trying to scan, why are you asking about a talk permit tone???

JCopelandSC

Premium Subscriber
Here's a crazy idea.... buy a SCANNER, which sole purpose is to SCAN a trunking system

Also if you are trying to scan, why are you asking about a talk permit tone???
For other channels, they are conventional so it wont work 🤷‍♂️

and well i kinda already bought the radio so might as well use it for scanning too