AR5000A+3 Gov't unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpapuga

Premium Subscriber
AR5000A+3 Gov't unit.jpg
When was the Audio Out installed on the AR5000A+3 government receivers? It appears to be spec'd for a specific purpose and factory installed. I am unable to find any reference, perhaps someone can shed light on this.
Thanks,
Mark

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
I had a 5000A+3 years ago and I can't say that I remember that output on mine. Have you tried it to see if it is providing discriminator audio? Good test would be to go from it to the line in on your PC, and run something like KG-Tone, go to a NFM VHF and above signal, and see if it displays a CTCSS or DCS tone.

Or....I could be way off and that might not be it at all...

kg4icg

Crazy Trucking Mechanic
Premium Subscriber
Audio output have been on the unit since day 1, I have AR5000 from the beginning, since year 2000

mpapuga

Premium Subscriber
I had a 5000A+3 years ago and I can't say that I remember that output on mine. Have you tried it to see if it is providing discriminator audio? Good test would be to go from it to the line in on your PC, and run something like KG-Tone, go to a NFM VHF and above signal, and see if it displays a CTCSS or DCS tone.

Or....I could be way off and that might not be it at all...
I haven't had a need for the output, but I am am curious. I'll give it a try this weekend when I'm back from work. Thanks!

mpapuga

Premium Subscriber
Audio output have been on the unit since day 1, I have AR5000 from the beginning, since year 2000
I do not have it on my other AR5000 and AR5000+3, only the AR5000A+3 that came from a Government facility. The other examples I've seen were postings on eBay, the only ones with the Audio Out were the AR5000A+3 Government units that had the alumininum mounting bars on the bottom for some type of rack mount. My original picture was an eBay screen grab, not mine, but the 3 other serial numbers I've seen seem to be in the 15xxx range with the exception of the original picture I posted, not sure where that decal came from.

Attachments

• AR500A+3 bottom.jpg
    AR500A+3 bottom.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 13

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
My AR5000+3 does not have that socket, and a couple of others I've seen here don't either.

The model does have line audio out at the front panel socket but I believe it is unsquelched, so not much use if you use a voice-activated recorder.

Perhaps that socket on your government model provides squelched line audio for recording purposes, a feature added to the later models AR5001D etc.

mpapuga

Premium Subscriber
I had emailed AOR to see if they could describe the use of the Audio Out and this was their reply:
"Thank you for your email.
In regards to the Audio Out connection for your AR5000A+3, we are unable to comment as this is not a default connection that is normally provided by AOR.
We assume the previous owner made the modification for their own preference."
I'll just have to poke around and see what it does.
I had read on the Universal Radio page for the radio about the AC version wondering if that might be the application but evidently not.
" The AC version is the frequency coherent model and covers 10 kHz to 3.0 GHz and can be purchased via government or qualifying commercial purchase order or for export only. Not available for online ordering. Click here for AR5000AC details. "

Status
Not open for further replies.