ARRL band-plan proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
After a cursory review, I am not having a problem with it. It would allow Novice/Tech some room to play, but leaves out bands to encourage upgrading to General or Extra. Digital modes get some help as well.

empireco

Interesting..

Not sure techs would enjoy 75 that much but it would be a heck of a way to break them in to HF, they'd be ready for anything lol.
I do like the small spaces added for digital modes.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
I vote no. I didn't even look at it. Over the years they already gave up the Morse Code requirement and gave more spectrum to people with lower level licenses. For once maybe people need to just get off their arses and earn whatever license(s) they need to earn in order to get the privileges that they want. If one cannot study the pools of questions and pass the tests, then maybe they don't deserve a license. As it stands now, a caveman can earn any of the licenses.

m

Hit_Factor

I'm OK with this. ARRL is trying to expand the hobby. That's part of their job.

More people buying equipment, the better equipment will become, with more choices.

I also suspect this would grow their membership numbers. That may be a big part of their motivation.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Waaaaaaaaaaaaa

If you're too dumb or lazy to get a General license, I don't want you there, Fredo.

People with mindsets like yours are the ones destroying our hobby. It's okay, you guys will be gone soon enough. Going to miss hearing about your daily BMs on the Geritol net though.

There is absolutely no reason to have multiple licenses. None at all.

bill4long

People with mindsets like yours are the ones destroying our hobby. It's okay, you guys will be gone soon enough. Going to miss hearing about your daily BMs on the Geritol net though.

There is absolutely no reason to have multiple licenses. None at all.

See comment above.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I think this would get some techs on the lower HF bands but I don't think it will cause a huge increase in new licenses. I think it needs more work or look at a different strategy to bring in new hamsters.

Agreed. What I think the ARRL and all these old sticks in the mud don't understand is that HF is not the holy grail it used to be. 9 out of 10 new hams I talk to have absolutely no interest in HF, and the 1 out of 10 who is interested doesn't have the space for antennas. You can pick up a $20 Baofeng and talk to anyone in the world anytime you want, propagation be damned. Or you can get on Skype.

So personally, I agree that this will do absolutely nothing to bring new hams on board. But if it does get more people involved in HF and more people on the bands, I'm all for it. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

prcguy

I think it would be more beneficial for the ARRL to target high school or colleges for recruitment or find a way to make ham radio look more mainstream to the general public. I meet a number of new hams that got interested because of disaster communications or SHTF situations. Everyone has their personal reason for getting a license and maybe studying that will turn up ways to attract more people.

Agreed. What I think the ARRL and all these old sticks in the mud don't understand is that HF is not the holy grail it used to be. 9 out of 10 new hams I talk to have absolutely no interest in HF, and the 1 out of 10 who is interested doesn't have the space for antennas. You can pick up a $20 Baofeng and talk to anyone in the world anytime you want, propagation be damned. Or you can get on Skype.

So personally, I agree that this will do absolutely nothing to bring new hams on board. But if it does get more people involved in HF and more people on the bands, I'm all for it. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.