ARRL Systems Down

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Just accessed from the ARRL.org main page on their website:

ARRL Systems Service Disruption​

05/16/2024
We are in the process of responding to a serious incident involving access to our network and headquarters-based systems. Several services, such as Logbook of The World® and the ARRL Learning Center, are affected. Please know that restoring access is our highest priority, and we are expeditiously working with outside industry experts to address the issue. We appreciate your patience.

K3YGX

Seems like the internet failed, not the radio waves ---- (well maybe the solar events slowed 'em down a bit)
I was a lineman for the phone company - I guess Glen Campbell didn't care though

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Seems like the internet failed, not the radio waves ---- (well maybe the solar events slowed 'em down a bit)
I was a lineman for the phone company - I guess Glen Campbell didn't care though

Point was that ARRL often talks about amateur radio as the tool to use when internet/phone/cellular services goes down.

Seems like this would have been an awesome opportunity to show how amateur radio can step up to the plate when traditional services fail. It appears to me that they missed an opportunity here. Packet radio into an old-skool BBS to record logs would have been a neat trick to pull off.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Point was that ARRL often talks about amateur radio as the tool to use when internet/phone/cellular services goes down.

Seems like this would have been an awesome opportunity to show how amateur radio can step up to the plate when traditional services fail. It appears to me that they missed an opportunity here. Packet radio into an old-skool BBS to record logs would have been a neat trick to pull off.

'There are eight calls ahead of you...'

BillMaui

Premium Subscriber

But we can still buy ARRL logo clothing, hats and coffee mugs in the store, right?

pdtek

I just looked at the ARRL website and no access to the LOTW, no uptime service status indicated since May 14, 2024. Not trying to flame the ARRL but it seems to me like they are not being too "transparent" about resolving it.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
"We are working with industry experts, including cyber crime attorneys and the authorities, who have directed us to be conservative and cautious with our communications while restoring the ARRL network."

Unfortunately, there's more than Logbook of the World that isn't working right now. From what I've been told, the attack is being carefully analyzed and systems are being rigorously tested for reinstatement. However, progress is slow.

By comparison, Ascension Health Care, which has 142 hospitals, 40 senior living facilities, and 142,000 employees was hit with a cyber attack almost a month ago. There are anecdotal reports that some health records are still unavailable and employees are being paid overtime to "sneaker-net" records around Ascension facilities.