Athens County moving toward MARCS IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8UU

Pilot of the Airwaves
Premium Subscriber
The Glouster MARCS tower is up and running with new equipment and that completes the necessary infrastructure for Athens County to switch to the MARCS P25 system. The Athens County Sheriffs Office, Athens Police, and Athens Fire are using the new system now (although Fire still utilizes the VHF 154.265 MHz repeater for alerting) and the Ohio University Police Department is scheduled to move soon. The holdout is Athens County EMS. They are waiting on O'Bleness and the facility formerly known as Doctors Hospital of Nelsonville to upgrade to the P25 system so ambulances can communicate with the ER. Barring any last minute complication, look for these agencies to be on the P25 system by February 1.

No decision yet on what will happen to Nelsonville Police and the village marshals. Right now, NPD uses their analog 154.74 MHz repeater. The village law enforcement agnecies share the old sheriff's office VHF multi-site repeater system on 151.19 MHz. Volunteer Fire uses a gaggle of medium powered VHF frequencies with countywide alerting on 156.2325 MHz. I know the fire departments are pursuing grants to buy MARCS radios and the county 911 center is looking at funding options for user fees.

Keep your ears peeled.

Rick, W8UU

Bucko

I have been listening to what sounds like Athens SO on 54769 for a while now. I wondered why I was not hearing the Athens EMS now we know, thanks for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.