Atlantic City digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigray246

Does anyone know why the A.C.PD is digital trunked, and the A.C.FD is analog trunked on the same system? Why not both digital? Ray

fineshot1

Cost is a big factor. Mobile and portable radios that can also do digital are more expensive then there non-digital counterparts.

Capacity could be another factor. The system has to have the digital infrastructure installed in all the elements to have full capacity for digital.

Also - sometimes politics and confidence play a part in it. A lot of fire cheifs are not sold on digital and prefer the old reliable analog channels.

Probably some more reasons I have forgotten.

Tech792

To add to what Fineshot said, recent studies have shown that "digital" is not recommended for fireground communications. I believe it was FDNY and a few other big city depts that recently did a study since they found them to be unreliable.

SCPD

QRT
digital comms are being blamed for the death of a Virgina firefighter last year i believe. many depts hearing this im sure got scared away by it. but there are systems near by me that have digital PD and EMS, while fire remains separate,

Status
Not open for further replies.