Atlantic County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

habfleet

Premium Subscriber
I have a BCD436HP monitoring Atlantic County when a P25 department broadcasts it is so muffled and loud that there is no way of understanding what is being said and some times it seems most of the broacast is dropped. Is it something in the programming of my scanner(I have all the upgrades) or just Atlantic County's poor radio system .

troymail

Silent Key
Could be any number of things -

At least some of the 6 documented sites of the system are indicating they are simulcast which provides a majority of the frustration. The system being Phase 2 adds to that frustration.

Depending upon where you are and how you programmed the radio, you may want to try monitoring (hold on) the single closest site (or two) that you know cover the area you are in.

It may seem counter intuitive but you might also want to try the opposite - find a site or two that are outside the area you are monitoring from.

Of course in doing either one of these, you may not hear what you were expecting (particularly if you are able to monitor a more distant site).

One other thing you can try for the the "loud" issue is "volume offsets" adjustments but they must be applied (I believe) to each talkgroup (not globally).

And finally - sometimes you can switch the digital decode option from AUTO to MANUAL and see some improvement.

Big jump -- or just buy a Unication pager.... but be prepared for "different" limitations or problems (EDIT: scrap that - Unication still doesn't do Phase 2 -- the biggest possible limitation)

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
All of what Troymail said and the fact that Atlantic County is a Harris P25 system which is known for its loudness and volume variance. I know you can also set Audio AGC ON under Edit System Options parameters. Btw to the OP where exactly are you monitoring from?

habfleet

Premium Subscriber
Mostly mobile in Atlantic County , Stationary Hammonton/Mullica area . My real question is that the transmissions are so mumbled and garbled most of the time they can't be understood.

lou9155

i have the same problem monitoring camden county . from various locations around cherry hill with a bcd436 audio is very garbled and muffled . is this a phase 2 issue? njics isnt too bad

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Yeah I've found the same thing on Camden and Atlantic even within the intended coverage area. Combination of compressed audio on Phase II and a crappy speaker on the 436. I've heard some horror stories of speakers going out and I've experienced some issues too on Phase II with distorted speaker output. General audio output even with external speakers is very bassy especially on P25 phase II.

habfleet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies I thought it was the system . I think Atlantic County has the worse communication system . They had their chance to upgrade and go County but Politics prevailed .

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
You can't judge the system by using a scanner. Listen to the system on a Harris Phase 2 compliant radio, you will be quite surprised of the excellent reception and audio quality. All scanners suffer from both LSM and audio inconsistencies on P25 systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.