BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Audio issues with many NXDN & DMR xmissions

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I've been noticing this for some time now. It appears to happen with weaker digital xmissions not normally receivable from my location, at least the ones I can identify. (BCD996P2)

I know these 'digital' wonders are anything but good, but some of these are basically impossible to understand what is being said. Xmissions are short, I can't always see the display in time to log the specific frequency thou some I can (railroad). Those are from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and points further south.
The other ones seem to be various, none of which I can ID.

Usually, all I hear is a overmodulated/very loud burst of broken speech almost impossible to understand to even give me a slight idea what service or company it is.
So, is this a problem on my end (the receiver), or just a crappy system full of problems?

BTW, there is one system (DMR, very new) that is very close to me which seems to be ok. 95%+ of the time, the xmissions are not overmodulated or broken up. I haven't done any updates, the last time I looked it was the latest. 1.08.01

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe any of this is related to Simulcast Distortion.

I did go to Unidens site and searched for updates, the only thing I found was entries for manuals.
That link gave the versions, but nothing for the F/W files themselves. IIRC, I don't believe I flashed this which makes me nervous. :( Does that BC_Updater_V3 find the F/W and it installs from there?

If so, I read the warning in your link, my S/N is 378 2, F/W version v 1.09.12 mentions S/N 378A and 378Z being ok to use that version and newer which my receiver is not;
Please check your scanner's serial number before updating. If your scanner's serial number starts with 378A, be sure to use ONLY this (or newer) version. The scanner will stop working using earlier versions.
If your scanner's serial number starts with 378Z, you can update to this (or newer) versions.
Which is possible why I haven't updated.

Last edited:

tvengr

Well Known Member
This is the firmware updater you should be using for your scanner. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Run the updater. Select your scanner model and follow the instructions.

Attachments

• BC_VUP_V3_03_00.zip
    662.7 KB · Views: 7

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
I have that, but how about what I posted in the above quote?? According to that, I can't use anything newer than what I have.

tvengr

Well Known Member
3782 is the beginning of the electronic serial number. Look on the back of your scanner. My serial number starts with 378Z. I have firmware v1.11.04 in my BCD996P2 with no problems. There was an issue with earlier firmware versions. The latest firmware can be applied to any scanner without any issues.

Last edited:

cg

Premium Subscriber
If the target system is normally out of range, you are simply getting bits and pieces of a transmission. If it is a signal you wish to monitor, you need to improve your reception of the signal. If you don't already have an outside antenna, that would be a good step. If you do, better antenna, better coax, or raise the antenna.

I've been noticing this for some time now. It appears to happen with weaker digital xmissions not normally receivable from my location, at least the ones I can identify. (BCD996P2)

RMason

Premium Subscriber

If your scanner's serial number starts with 378A, be sure to use ONLY this (or newer) version. The scanner will stop working using earlier versions.
If your scanner's serial number starts with 378Z, you can update to this (or newer) versions.
You can safely apply 1.11.04 to any 996p2. This warning is to prevent applying old firmware versions to new revision hardware. Any version 1.09.12 or newer can be applied to an 996p2.

Updating to the latest firmware would be a good first step.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
Updating to the latest firmware would be a good first step.
+10 on this one...

I have owned this radio since it's release. It was pretty much useless for One Frequency Truck in ANY digital mode. The latest firmware has turned this radio into one of my favorites (in a non-simulcast system). Not sure if that's your issue, but it's a good first step.

Bill

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
3782 is the beginning of the electronic serial number. Look on the back of your scanner. My serial number starts with 378Z. I have firmware v1.11.04 in my BCD996P2 with no problems. There was an issue with earlier firmware versions. The latest firmware can be applied to any scanner without any issues.
I was looking at the S/N from the menu in the front panel.
Yes, mine is 378Z. What's with the 2 different numbers?? :rolleyes:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
If the target system is normally out of range, you are simply getting bits and pieces of a transmission. If it is a signal you wish to monitor, you need to improve your reception of the signal. If you don't already have an outside antenna, that would be a good step. If you do, better antenna, better coax, or raise the antenna.
Sounds like high bit error rate to me. If you are on the fringes of coverage, the scanner will not get enough signal to decode it cleanly.
The intended services on those frequencies are local services, apparently the 'digital' xmissions are distant from Ontario, probably around Toronto during good DX conditions.

As to antennas, I have it covered as I have for decades. (Pic is not current but it kinda gives the picture)

Attachments

• Nagoya NMO-200C + Five star antennas01.JPG
    Nagoya NMO-200C + Five star antennas01.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Updated pic. Tram dual band on left (Business Band/Commercial), Comet dual band on right (Amateur). The discone is a SIRIO SD 1300 which is the best discone I have owned over the 5 or so others over the years. Far superior over all the others, especially with the VHF Hi 'hat'. (y)

All 'N' fittings (Pl259's are old school, not for UHF in spite of the nickname, not weatherproof & they don't maintain a constant impedance.
Cable is Shireen RFC400 (LMR equivalent). The problems are it's stiffer than typical RG-8 and the jacket is a ***** to strip, it's highly weatherproof and UV proof. But, it's the ,lowest loss of all of them w/o the price of Times Microwave. ;)

Attachments

• Tram & Comet antennas 02 small.JPG
    Tram & Comet antennas 02 small.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 16

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Installed and ran the updater program. I already had the version of Net Framework it needed, it gave me the latest F/W version to install.
No problems, powered off and re-powered, checked the F/W version, all appears to be well. I'll have to see if the issues mention in my 1st post are still there or not.

Now, why can't programming this be that easy?? Thanks for the input so far.

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
Television has been horizontally polarized from the get go AFAIK. It has nothing to do with DX. BTW, that is a UHF antenna (since the vast majority of stations since the end of NTSC are UHF. There a very few VHF Hi band and almost no low band.)

Ubbe

Television has been horizontally polarized from the get go AFAIK. It has nothing to do with DX. BTW, that is a UHF antenna
Yes, I know. That's why I ask when you have that on a rotor. That coax seems to be installed too tight to allow any turning of the antenna, so perhaps you never use the rotor.

/Ubbe

videobruce

Premium Subscriber
There is plenty of slack (loop). I've done it that way for decades. The pic is deceiving due to the angle it was shot from. ;) I always test it doing a full 360 after I make a change to either antenna. The actual arc that is used is less than 240 degrees. There are 3 cables involved (including the RFC400), a RG11 and a pair of 12 gauge grounds tied together.

Last edited: