Logs Auntie BBC

majoco

Stirrer
..is booming in this afternoon at 1620local/0320UTC on 12095kHz from Oman - +20dB over S9 with a news programme discussing the forthcoming elections in Venezuela - initially I thought it was coming from Ascension but then I checked again and on the old schedule B22 he was not broadcasting - the new A22 schedule is right. It will be interesting to see what happens to the signal at 0400z when he supposedly changes over to the Madagascar transmitter. The "Gray Line" is just over the Middle East but hasn't got quite here yet but we'll see. Winradio G33DDC through a 120feet circumference triangular loop about 15 feet up at the peak. There's a 20dB amplifier up there but also a 20db attenuator at the 409-2 mutlticoupler.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
At the changeover to Madagascar at 0400z there were a few seconds where there were two modulations but no 'squeal' from two carriers - I guess they were phase locked. Another couple of seconds with carrier but no modulation, then over to the news and the time pips which I guess was now the Madagascar transmitter - may be a bit lower down in carrier power but equal in signal quality. Interesting experiment. I wonder how they got the two carriers phase locked - a pilot tone or GPS derived frequency perhaps .