Austin Spectra

Status
Not open for further replies.

dick122

Folks,

I have a chance to pick up a new Austin Spectra at no cost! My question is can I trim this antenna down as it is too long to get in my garage? Specs say its about 33" long. Would it hurt my reception any if i trimed it to say 28"? I'm only interested in VHF & UHF. Thanks for any help.

N1BHH

I had one a number of years ago and I left it as is. What is the need for shortening it anyway? Has someone told you that shortening it does something special or what? It worked for me very well.

garys

Premium Subscriber
From my experience the Spectra is very fussy when it comes to any adjustment or change. I'd expect degradation in the VHF and VHF Low bands if you cut the whip length.

Gary

yaesumofo

Cutting the antenna down by 5 inches will change how well it works. If it were supposed to be 28 inches long they would have made it 28 inches long.
Sell this one and buy a shorter antenna with the cash.
Yaesumofo

dick122 said:
Folks,

I have a chance to pick up a new Austin Spectra at no cost! My question is can I trim this antenna down as it is too long to get in my garage? Specs say its about 33" long. Would it hurt my reception any if i trimed it to say 28"? I'm only interested in VHF & UHF. Thanks for any help.

Airdorn

N1BHH said:
I had one a number of years ago and I left it as is. What is the need for shortening it anyway? Has someone told you that shortening it does something special or what? It worked for me very well.

He said he needed to cut it down so that he could fit it into his garage.

prcguy

I would like to test an Austin against several others like the A/S MON-33. I could trade you a new Larsen Tri-band and other stuff for the Austin.
prcguy
dick122 said:
Folks,

viper21

I have a cutting chart for the spectra, it says to trim the top whip for desired VhfL performance ranges from 5" for 47 mhz to full 14" length for 33 mhz...

windchaser

if it aint broke dont fix it. try to live with it or get another antenna. windchaser usmm ret

af5rn

viper21 said:
I have a cutting chart for the spectra, it says to trim the top whip for desired VhfL performance ranges from 5" for 47 mhz to full 14" length for 33 mhz...
Exactly. There is a reason the thing comes with a cutting chart. It is made to be cut. That is what the manufacturer intended. If you're lucky, you don't need low-band where you live, so you can cut it to minimum length and lose enough to garage it without problems.

firetaz834

How much flexibility do you have in the whip? Maybe you could bend it down when you enter your garage and then when you pull out, let it up?

af5rn

firetaz834 said:
How much flexibility do you have in the whip? Maybe you could bend it down when you enter your garage and then when you pull out, let it up?
Bending is something you definitely do NOT want to do to a Spectra. They are very top heavy as it is, and the base is not terribly strong. You'll end up breaking it from the base in short order.

N1BHH

Actually the base has a built in spring. The antenna is rather rigid. I take it that it is roof mounted. If your are using it on a mag mount, then the solution is obvious, get out and take it down when you go in your garage. Otherwise, I guess you have to alter the antenna by trimming it to fit. I wouldn't worry too much, personally, as the whip is the most flexible part of the antenna. Better yet, get a taller garage door.

viper21

In my opinion the spectra isn't all what it's cracked up to be, it does about the same as the 20$ hustler antenna I have, it's good in the Vhf and UHF, and decent on 800.. I got a one for 50$ I mainly got it because I wanted to see for myself and it has the NMO mount, but I don't think it's worth the $90 or what ever they want for one...

af5rn

N1BHH said:
Actually the base has a built in spring. The antenna is rather rigid.
Yeah, but that spring is quite misleading. It is pretty much just for looks. It isn't an in-line spring that separates the flexible from the non-flexible parts of the antenna, as is normal. It simply encases a rigid, non-flexible portion of the antenna itself. The entire base section of the antenna goes from the whip THROUGH the spring, to screw directly into the NMO, where it is only about a third of an inch wide. The spring just sits around the antenna, on top of the NMO, and really serves very little protective function in the Spectra. I wouldn't count on it to do so.

TedWCM

Actually cutting down the antenna will just lose some reception on Very-Low VHF freq's ,

Not sure what freq's you are listening to but if above 45.00mhz no problem cutting down the top section

Status
Not open for further replies.