Austin Triplexers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Looking at these for possible use in my shack. Model number 204230 in particular. Is anyone familure with these or have used one? From the looks of it these units they pass all frequencies listed on each port unlike the diamond units that seperate the frequency ranges by port. Here is a link to the Austin page with the product.

Austin Antenna Triplexer/Multiplexer Information Page

Basically I'd like to connect my Kenwood dual bander and two motorola radios, one UHF and the other VHF to a single dual bander antenna. I'd only be transmitting on one rig at a time but would like to be able to monitor on alkl 3 simutainously. Any suggestions appreciated.

nd5y

I had a an Austin 2m/220/440 triplexer years ago. That isn't how they work. They have one common port and one port for each band just like the Diamond or any other triplexer. You can't use a 3 band triplexer to do what you are talking about. There is no easy or cheap way have two radios on the same band at the same time using the same antenna. They also don't work well outside the specified frequency ranges.

I had a 2m/440 dualband radio with seperate antenna connectors and a 220 radio all on one antenna. It worked great on the ham bands but did not receive well the farther away from the ham bands you went.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I kinda thought each port would be band specific but from the vendors description of the product it leads one to believe that it could pass each band on each port. I should've known better but it can't hurt to ask. Oh well...perhaps I will re-evaluate the antenna situation. I feelin a home brewed project coming on.

W2PMX

Home brew or not, you can't run 2 radios on the same band on the same antenna, unless the frequencies are far enough apart (on the order of 2MHz at 2 meters) to use a duplexer (which is not a diplexer). But then you'd be transmitting on 147 and receiving on the other radio on 145 or lower. The only way to be able to listen near your transmit frequency with one antenna - assuming you don't want to let the blue smoke escape from the radio that's receiving - is magic. You need a "phase" version of Maxwell's Demon.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
By home brewed I meant another antenna.

So I could run the UHF and the VHF motorolas off the same dual band antenna with the proper device to isolate them correct?

Yup, just make sure each port covers your frequencies of interest snd can handle the power output. I use a diplexer for a Motorola UHF Spectra and a VHF 100W Astro Spectra.

Status
Not open for further replies.