R30 Auto mode detect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyberoptics

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up an R30, so far I'm pretty impressed. The digital audio is really nice as others have pointed out. Is there a way to have the radio auto-detect the mode? My local FD uses P25 for voice, but do analog paging (FM) on the same frequency. Is this possible with 1 memory channel? Not worried if I have to use 2, there are definitely enough memories!

Also, BUTEL or RT Systems for programming -- which one is best?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I just picked up an R30, so far I'm pretty impressed. The digital audio is really nice as others have pointed out. Is there a way to have the radio auto-detect the mode? My local FD uses P25 for voice, but do analog paging (FM) on the same frequency. Is this possible with 1 memory channel? Not worried if I have to use 2, there are definitely enough memories!

I haven't yet found a way for the R30 to auto-detect signals in mode in memory mode, and I haven't had a chance to explore whether or not it's possible to do so in scan-range mode (I doubt it). It seems that you have to enter a specific reception mode any time you program a memory channel, which seems to mean you'll probably need to program your FD frequency into two memory channels--one for P25 signals and the other for analog FM signals. I'll be very happy to find out that someone else out there has been able to set their R30 to auto-detect incoming signals!

As for programming software, I've been very happy with Icom's own software, and I haven't used either BUTEL or RT Systems software.

Like yourself, I'm also very impressed with my R30, even though it doesn't seem to be able to receive strong simulcast P25 signals in memory-scan mode.

Good luck!

-Johnnie

palmerjrusa

I have the Butel software for my IC-r30 and like it, like the clean presentation and haven't had any problems using it.

danbrew60177

Premium Subscriber
I know this thread is a bit old, but I'm a big fan of RT Systems, using their product for several different radios & scanners. Just bought an R30 from HRO (haven't got it yet), will definitely buy the RT Systems product as it's pretty simple and will suck down data from RR.com to help populate the radio.

I'm guessing, but I'd guess the OP's original question will require two memory slots. :)

Hit_Factor

RT systems(best interface) then Icom (fast), last Butel (clunky to use)

Do a search, we laid out the differences in a thread quite a while ago.

No autodetect, will need multiple entries with some kind of PL enabled. If no PL the channel won't be skipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.