Awin

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

AWIN IS COMING IN GREAT HERE!! I went from my town to a town 25 miles south and back (all in troop C) and NEVER lost Jonesboro/Craighead County OR Troop C at ALL the whole way! MY local PD was gone before I crossed the county line! I love it, Should have gotten one years ago! Oh, And this is ALL on the regular RUBBER duck antenna, NOT on a mobile antenna. Imagine what a mobile antenna OR my scantenna 50 feet up would DO! Oh The possibilitiies are ENDLESS! Experement Time! Thanks To Everyone who offered advice or words of encouragement! I OWE you all ONE!

Airdorn

AWIN really is a great system to listen to. It makes my night when I manage to pick it up because of ducting or whatever. I'm in Cordova, TN and I'm not *supposed* to be able to hear it at all, hehe.

I mainly pick up Troop D out of Forrest City, but sometimes I get some Crittenden Co. activity, and some Lee and Phillips county sheriffs, among a few others I can't remember. The audio is always clear as a bell, even if I'm pushin' 1 bar signal strength.

You're lucky you're swimming in the middle of that system. :)

btritch

I can get the TROOP C fine but when I hit one of the other counties, Nada, even on my scatenna...Nothing but my troop, On my scantenna it's GREAT, Signal all the way up! BUT on the rubber antenna that's made on it is good to moderate, SOMETIMES I loose it but not often..

Not hearing that much on the statewide AWIN (ADEM, Etc.) Channels though....Is that normal, No Highway Dept, Game and Fish, Nothing..That normal?

Last edited:

btritch

springdalesam said:
I don't think Game and Fish is on Awin yet. I still hear them on 151.175 over here in Springdale.

I hear them on the same here and sometimes on 151.385 as well but since they did have a listed TG in the AWIN database I was to wondering if they were using both but I guess not, LOL, I heard ADEM talking about the line that rolled through here this afternoon, it was pretty neat, Hearing Jonesboro/Troop C traffic out the butt right now, LOL

Does anyone know when you set the AWIN system to "Roam" What the Threshold Values need to be? Or if it's better on "Stationary"? Bubba Earle? Air Dorn? maybe one of you could answer this, Ya'll seem to know more about this system than anyone but if anyone else has any input or knows, Feel free to let it out, I'm trying to figure out the best settings right now.. LOL

Airdorn

Try awin on an 800 - 900Mhz antenna. Scantenna doesn't handle 800+ Mhz all that well, at least in my experience. Troop C for you is probably so strong, you could pick it up with a paper clip.

btritch

I'm also picking up entergy arkansas and the local utility company, they all use 800 mhz as well.. How well would the RS 800 MHZ rubber antenna work on a PSR GRE radio.. I have a little trouble picking them up when I'm carrying it with me, I NEED one that I can carry with me portable. I am hearing them great on my scantenna, Just my district though which is all I really need anyway.. I need an 800 mhz to carry with me.. that's why I asked if the RS 800 mhz antenna would work, You know which one I'm referring to don't you? If not, I'll send you a link..

Also, I have learned what the difference in "STAT" and "ROAM" are but how do I know what to set the Threshold values to if I set it to "ROAM" while traveling in other districts or is it better just leaving it in "STAT" mode? I'm still confused here! Everything else I'm gettin'.. LOL

Nunya53

newbie here...but does anyone have a link to a good write-up on what AWIN is and how it works? I'm not only a newbie to the forum, but to scanning as well.

Thanks,

Jerry

bpckty1

Check out the explanation on the Database, Arkansas Trunking...

Here is the link to AWIN:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3918

There are 8 updates, so you should read all of them, and related links to understand the system. But, basicly, it is a statewide trunked system, in a way like cellular, because it is feasable for a unit in Texarkana to talk to a unit in Jonesboro, if they choose the correct talkgroup.

Status
Not open for further replies.