Bad Guys Using Scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
N2SCR said:
Scanners used by criminals .....tack on 3 years to their felony sentence. Levy mandatory fines so when they are chilling in prison a portion of their money sent by mommy or wifey is garnished and used to update and maintain public safety communications.

Leave law abiding citizens with scanners alone and continue to allow them access to monitor.

That's pretty much how Michigan's new scanner law works.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
CLTX11 said:
It happens more than you know. A local PD around here busted a meth lab and found multiple scanners inside.

tweakers are a paranoid, but stupid bunch. Chances are they were not using them, and even if they were, they heard nothing regarding their operations.

I have heard the PD here gear up for a bust. It is always VERY vauge. You cannot tell where they are, what they are doing, or who is involved. But you know that something is "up" You only get to know that something is "up" after several years of scanning before you recognize the subtle and vauge operations going on during primary operations.

Zaratsu

Premium Subscriber
Around here in this situation the dispatcher or officer will just say "H to channel 2" then they confirm and you hear the broadcast in static encryption. It used to be voice inversion, but now it is static. That officer will stay on channel 2 and maintain encryption until it is no longer needed. I imagine that during the first encrypted transmission is when the officer or dispatcher is being informed of the suspicion of the scanner. There is sometimes a 10code that is announced right after that in the clear for everyone else on duty to be aware of their comms.

the perps only warning would be that everything just went static right before his door gets knocked down.

brian13pickle

Several years ago, when my friend was a Balto. City street cop, at the drug infested Murphy Homes high rise projects, he encountered a drug dealer with a scanner. He told me that he took it from him and smashed it on the dealers head. Note: My friend is not a bull $h**er........ Brian P

af5rn

gregmoss said:
Litsening too my scanners tonight while a police dispatcher warn officers, that the (BAD GUY) of interest. Is known for having scanners in his possession and hostile toward officers. They mention this four times. Bad guys and scanners don't jive. I'm a Law Abiding Citizen, and that burns me up too see a holes like this exploit out hobby too break the laws.:(
What was he wanted for anyhow? I've known cops to label you a "bad guy" just because you have scanners. Maybe he wasn't so "hostile" to them before he started getting hassled for being a scannist.

brian13pickle said:
My friend is not a bull $h**er....
Yeah, "bull $h**er" is a lot milder than what I would call him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.