Bad news for Florida mobile scanners

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Yep it is pretty ironic being that this time next year all, or maybe I should say the rest of FHP/FMP/FDLE etc. will be on the new state-wide EDACS system complete with an encrypted control channel and the re-written law doesn't help or harm them in any way.

khvfdff

All the cops that my Dad and I have talked to have said, "As long as you can prove you are a firefighter and you have a handheld scanner, you show the police officer your ID there shouldn't be any problems. Also all the deputies that know me also know that I do have to listen to the police channels in order to get the fire channels in our county, thanks to LTRMultiNet.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Yeah but all you need is 1 trooper having a bad day and you can get an NTA for violating the statute. An ID is not an exemption to the law for even LE and FR personnel while off duty. They would have to have a ham license to be able to carry a scanner in their POV unless the agency head certifies their POV as an "emergency vehicle".

It is really screwed up, but until they change it that is the way its written.

n4voxgill

Silent Key
if your car insurance company finds out your vehicle is now classified as an emergency vehicle you can kiss your car insurance goodbye. Also stay out of Lawtey.

greenflash

Wow,! This is very depressing as this is my first post after joining a few minutes ago. I was going to ask what type of Police fire etc type scanner to get in the Tampa/ St. Pete area. I guess I will have to get a Ham license first.
Also does anyone know if this same area went to some new type of digital system. I thought
I something on the net last nite about that. I am a real neebie and the last scanner I had was
one of the first ones in the early 1970's using plug in cyrstals. Any recommandations on where
to start.. equiptment,., etc greatly appreciated....thanks Bill

Bad News for Florida Drivers....The speed limit on I-75 is 70 mph. If you speed you will get a ticket! Now,just how many people obey the speed limit? How many actually get stopped for speeding? Just put the scanner in your car,listen to whatever you want to and don't worry about it! There is probably 25,000 cars on the road for each Police car. Use some Common Sense people.

n4dog

This is why I have my Ham ticket also. I dont have to worry about it. But I think this is one of those thing that not many of the LEO's will worry about.

N4UYV_Al

n4voxgill said:
if your car insurance company finds out your vehicle is now classified as an emergency vehicle you can kiss your car insurance goodbye. Also stay out of Lawtey.

Here in the western part of Mass, about every 12th car you pass on the road with Mass plates is in the public service field..My insurance company doesnt seem to really have a problem with it. My insurance agent is a volunteer firefighter . Just costs you alittle more if you tell them that you have radio gear in your vehicle though if you want coverage for theft..

khvfdff

I know it just depends on the officer too. Yes do stay out of Lawtey. I can't count on my fingers how many Traffic Stops (10-50s) they do a day. Monitor them off of Bradford SO Primary aka ex:Lima403. They just love pulling you over. I will get my ham operators license eventually.

cruncher

Which of the three licenses to get for legal scanner?

With Technician, General and Extra requirements as they are, the Technician license seems the easiest to get, but will it pass the legal requirement for carrying a scanner or do I need one of the other two? The way the law text is written it looks like any of the three will work.

CapStar362

had a cop question me on Fort Myers Beach so i showed him my MedEVAC Helicopter Pilot License and my Civil Air Patrol membership card, he continued on with a quick: "Very Well"

:confused: :roll:

SCPD

QRT
cruncher said:
With Technician, General and Extra requirements as they are, the Technician license seems the easiest to get, but will it pass the legal requirement for carrying a scanner or do I need one of the other two? The way the law text is written it looks like any of the three will work.

All you need as a minimum is the tech if operating a scanner is all your looking to do. Under FCC rules you can have a radio anywhere you want (restrictions do apply to transmitting from marine & aircraft), including in a mobile application.

gmcginn

What ever happened to the Federal Radio Communications Act of 1930?

That allowed anyone to listen to public licensed communications.

Does the FCC still require police and fire to apply for broadcast licenses?

CapStar362

i hate to bump a old topic, but i just came from Fort Myers FL a week ago. and with my simplex Pro-83, im picking up things that i recently could not. thinking outside my normal box, i think there is a conspiracy going on here with this new bill.

the state may be trying to force the downgrading of radio equipment by outlawing the use of scanners to prevent people from listening ( not that its effective :D ) and using cheaper simplex systems.

skip39

hello scanner listeners in florida my name is ryan and i going to florida this tuesday, i want to know what more about the new scanner law i bringing my brand new bcd396t with me on this trip. i want to how much trouble i will get in florida when having my scanner. i dont want a cop to stop me and think i am trying to dicieve or aiding the criminals down there. i am really just trying to enjoy my hobby down i florida,
thanks ryan

khvfdff

Bring it with you. Just be careful about what you are listening to. If you do (God forbid get stopped), just place your scanner on the weather channel. If you don't do anything stupid to get stopped you shouldn't have any problems.

jjmdimunno

Scanners not exempt?!?

Guys,
As I mentioned in another thread here recently, I am moving soon to Central Florida and need to confirm something. I just had someone write to me and tell me that scanners are NO LONGER exempt for amateur radio operators under the newly revised law. Personally, after reading the law several times, I can find no mention in there of scanners NOT being exempt for amateurs. Looks like it's still all clear for those holding a HAM ticket.

I'm told that HAMs operating on permitted bands are still exempt, but scanners are not. Any information? I hold a HAM license and have for several years...

Mike DiMunno

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
jjmdimunno said:
Guys,
As I mentioned in another thread here recently, I am moving soon to Central Florida and need to confirm something. I just had someone write to me and tell me that scanners are NO LONGER exempt for amateur radio operators under the newly revised law. Mike DiMunno

I believe the new law still exempts licensed hams, that part didn't change.

Sac916

W4KRR said:
4. Exceptions for amateur radio, news, and alram companies are still in place.

--

How difficult would it be to become a "freelance" news photographer or media type.

Status
Not open for further replies.