Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharvey2

When I was a kid in school, I remember watching a short movie entitled "The Red Balloon". Maybe it's time for a remake with some high tech APRS added in. It would certainly make it more interesting.

nd5y

Maybe it's time for a remake with some high tech APRS added in.
Amateur radio balloons with APRS and other beacons and even repeaters are nothing new.
Some of the flights are listed at Amateur Radio High Altitude Ballooning.

bharvey2

Amateur radio balloons with APRS and other beacons and even repeaters are nothing new.
Some of the flights are listed at Amateur Radio High Altitude Ballooning.

Understood. My comment was related more to the movie which was probably made in the mid to late '50s. The APRS tracking would be a nice tech touch if the movie were to be made today.

KB4MSZ

Billy
Premium Subscriber
I remember reading a few years back where a elementary grade school class in England had each of the students send up a balloon with the classroom contact information attached. One little guy sent up his balloon and it landed in none other than the garden of Windsor Castle, where the Queen found it and had her secretary send him a nice reply.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
I remember reading a few years back where a elementary grade school class in England had each of the students send up a balloon with the classroom contact information attached. One little guy sent up his balloon and it landed in none other than the garden of Windsor Castle, where the Queen found it and had her secretary send him a nice reply.
Some years back in ATC at the local airport here in SE Australia we noticed a bunch of balloons passing over, each carrying at the end of a length of string a small plastic bag with a card inside. One balloon snagged on a security fence, and we recovered the card and noted it was from a local primary (guess that is what you call elementary) school, with their contact details.

One of our number gave the card to a friend who was a B747 captain, who posted it back to the school from Dubai :) :)

And re ballooning with amateur radio, here is a link to come activity taking place here:

Status
Not open for further replies.