Baltimore Help Requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I'm programming a G4 pager and needed to know how the talk group flow worked.
Here is a G4 file for Baltimore City and surrounding counties. Unable to do Anne Arundel Co since the G4 will not do Motorola Type II systems. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Import the extracted file into your PPS.

Attachments

• GxPPS_V0.3.14.15 _BaltCityFireG4_200313.zip
    289.6 KB · Views: 16

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
How does the talk group assignment work for baltimore county with the different areas n/s/e/w after dispatch?

tvengr

Well Known Member
After dispatch, if not assigned a Tac talkgroup, they will go to the Central, West, or East Talkgroup. Central is North of Baltimore City. West and East are West and East of Baltimore City. Tac talkgroups as follows:
Central Div: Tac 12, Tac 62
West Div: Tac 22, Tac 52
East Div: Tac 32, Tac 42
You will not hear anything from the East Division on the North site. Use the Balt Co S Ops, Balt Co S Tac, and Balt Co S EMS zones if possible. You will miss a lot of activity using the North (N) zones.

In Baltimore City after dispatch, if not assigned a Fireground talkgroup, they will go to Main for Fire or EMS 1 for EMS.

Last edited:

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
After dispatch, if not assigned a Tac talkgroup, they will go to the Central, West, or East Talkgroup. Central is North of Baltimore City. West and East are West and East of Baltimore City. Tac talkgroups as follows:
Central Div: Tac 12, Tac 62
West Div: Tac 22, Tac 52
East Div: Tac 32, Tac 42
You will not hear anything from the East Division on the North site. Use the Balt Co S Ops, Balt Co S Tac, and Balt Co S EMS zones if possible. You will miss a lot of activity using the North (N) zones.

In Baltimore City after dispatch, if not assigned a Fireground talkgroup, they will go to Main for Fire or EMS 1 for EMS.

What are the North Tac pairings?

tvengr

Well Known Member
There is no North Division as such. You have Tac 112 and Tac 122, but I believe those are used only in the case of a communications failure with the North site that requires site trunking. I don't believe that I have ever heard any activity on those talkgroups. Tac 72 and Tac 82 can be used for overflow if the other talkgroups are in use. I have heard activity on those for a major incident involving all 3 divisions or special events and training from time to time.

Last edited:

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
There is no North Division as such. You have Tac 112 and Tac 122, but I believe those are used only in the case of a communications failure with the North site that requires site trunking. I don't believe that I have ever heard any activity on those talkgroups.

ok thanks are the tac 72 and 82 groups used?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Please refer to my previous post. I may have added that information after you saw it. You will have to refresh to see it.

Last edited:

sfb88

I hope someone can help me with a really "noob" question. When I look at Baltimore City's trunked system in the database section I only see one site listed. How would I tell from what is shown there that it is a simulcast system?

An additional puzzlement for me that is not meant to imply doubt that it is simulcast. I have been listening to City police and fire for awhile using a BCD536HP. Out of curiosity I bought an SDS200 which I just received today. I set it up with the same favorites lists from the 536. Listening to both using supplied whip antennas in reasonably close proximity, I was surprised to not hear much difference. If anything, there were times when the 536 was receiving and the 200 displayed ID Scanning.

n1nlr

I hope someone can help me with a really "noob" question. When I look at Baltimore City's trunked system in the database section I only see one site listed. How would I tell from what is shown there that it is a simulcast system?

An additional puzzlement for me that is not meant to imply doubt that it is simulcast. I have been listening to City police and fire for awhile using a BCD536HP. Out of curiosity I bought an SDS200 which I just received today. I set it up with the same favorites lists from the 536. Listening to both using supplied whip antennas in reasonably close proximity, I was surprised to not hear much difference. If anything, there were times when the 536 was receiving and the 200 displayed ID Scanning.

If you click on where it says Site 101 in the listing it will take you to a page that lists the FCC licenses. Click on one of those and you will see the antenna locations for the system.

As for not hearing a difference, it is entirely possible that you are very close to one of the antenna location and that might be helping.

sfb88

Thank you for responding. Now I am more confused. I don't know about radiation patterns or transmitter power but I seem to be close to the same distance from the St. Lo and Lombard St. sites.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for responding. Now I am more confused. I don't know about radiation patterns or transmitter power but I seem to be close to the same distance from the St. Lo and Lombard St. sites.

Editing....

Sounds like you are in the city. I use my 536 on the FIRST system, as well as a SDS200. Both work equally well for me at my location, mainly because I am very close to one tower site which overpowers all other transmit sites. It's hard to predict radiation patterns in urban areas at the micro level, but you may be getting blanked by obstacles or other interference, resulting in reception from only one tower - which is advantageous when using a non-optimized receiver.

Last edited:

AdamHLG

Long time listener and scanner buff here for 40 years. Hell I had scanners from Radio Shack that used crystals! Some thoughts.... Everything n1nlr said is correct in his posts above.... some good information for those that need it. Also I just got a Unication G5 today and absolutely love it. So hey tvengr thanks for that file! Just programmed Baltimore County Fire into it and got it working. The programming software not that hard once you get the hang of it. Best reception I ever had for Baltimore County. Love the footprint of that radio. Small tough and tiny. Just heard about SDS100 and SDS200 and they look like they solved the simulcast problem as well so happy to hear there are options that work now! But the G4 and G5 radios from Unication are the GOAT! Highly recommend. Now I want Baltimore County to tone us out over 800! And send messages. Come’on man we have the tech it’s 2020 make our toys work better!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.