Band Opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommypickles

The VHF and UHF bands have been opening up here in Livingston County Illinois.
Hearing Michigan public safety and amateur on V/U, with some Wisconsin.
Using a V/U antenna 30 feet up.

Twister_2

Feed Provider
The APRS maps show a path from Wisconsin to Western and Central PA. I'm in SE PA and it doesn't look like the opening quite reaches to me. I'm still listening on 146.52.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
We had considerable radiation fog this morning and when that happens TVDX rolls in but rotated the antenna in all directions and scanned. Nada. Thanks for the tip on the APRS site.

Twister_2

Feed Provider

The map has colored overlays where DX contacts occured. Red is the furthest and green is the shortest. If you click on each contact are you can see where the actual radios were. You can also adjust how recent the contacts have to be to remain on the map.

scanmanmi

I'm hearing multiple agencies in MI on 155.01. Kent County is PL167.9 but someone else is on PL151.4 Maybe Royal Oak but that would mean the listing is wrong. Somebody else is on 107.2 (Dupage IL?)

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
There's a Beaver PA listed as 107.2 and I did hear something about West Mayfield.

Nice Catch.
155.01 151.4 is Beaver County PA North Police Dispatch. That would include West Mayfield, just north of Beaver Falls.
This system has a unique sound to it that should verify your QSO.
The mobiles use a fast DTMF burst as a data ID. If you heard that DTMF sound, you got it the QSO.

Yesterday was active at my place in Pittsburgh, I thought I heard EMS traffic on 155.955 at an address in Cleveland. That is about half way to your place.
Never heard anything on 155.37, I guess that is about expired, a shame.
VHF public safety is not as popular these days, and high power post re-banding is extinct, a shame for hobbyists.
Where are you? Grand Rapids? VHF is going away in favor of the state system, correct? Another one bites the dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.