• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-5R and BF-F8HP Police Scanner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NineInchNails

Premium Subscriber
I am studying for the Technician's test in the US now. I bought one Baofeng UV-5R and one BF-F8HP radio to play with in the mean time. I checked out the database here, programmed the local police frequencies using CHIRP and I am not picking up anything other than some occasional static.

I do get some EMS and fire, but I suspect I'm not receiving most of the most interesting frequencies in my area.

I figured maybe I needed to enter more info when using CHIRP so I paid for the Radio Reference Premium Membership so I can import all of the appropriate info into CHIRP then upload to the radio/radios. I'm still picking up nothing.

I am definitely a newb, but would LOVE for someone to confirm whether I'm doing something wrong or if these radios just won't pick up these frequencies due to being digital, trunked or something like that. Can you see anything in these screenshots that would indicate that my radios should not pick up these frequencies?

Attachments

• Police 01.jpg
    Police 01.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 7,740
  • Police 02.jpg
    Police 02.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 7,490

clbsquared

You see that box at the top left that says P25 Phase 1? And the box to the right that says "Used by county public safety"?. Your radios will not receive P25. While you may occasionally receive some traffic on analog when they use it, the bulk of their transmissions are digital.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

NineInchNails

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much for your response. I did not notice that P25 statement. Actually, I may have, but didn't have any clue what that meant so I imagine I didn't think anything of it.

What do you think about the one boxed in red below? It doesn't appear to be specifically listed under P25. I do not pick up any traffic in those frequencies either.

Attachments

• Police 03.jpg
    Police 03.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 7,641

clbsquared

It's hard to say without knowing how far away you are from their towers. Or how you've programmed the radio. Open up the link to the P25 system and it will show you every agency on that system. However, the database is updated by members of this forum. It may be that Plymouth has migrated to P25 and the database has not been updated. There are state specific and even county specific forums on RR. Try searching for your states forum and see if anyone has more info on your state/ county system. I'm sure someone with knowledge of it can be of more help than I am.

NineInchNails

Premium Subscriber
I understand now. I just didn't click around enough and didn't understand what P25 was and I didn't click on that P25 link previously. All of the traffic I'm not receiving is listed under P25 so that makes sense. You've been a HUGE help. Thank you very much!

I have my eyes on one of those Baofeng DM-5R Plus radios. Hopefully that would serve as a digital scanner.

clbsquared

You really should look into getting a scanner. The Baofeng will not decode P25. Don't waste your money.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
Not to mention that the Baofeng DM-5R is only a Tier1 DMR radio and won't work at all for Tier2, which is what 99% of DRM systems are on.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Also keep in mind that Baofeng and similar radios scan very slowly compared to a real scanner (about 3 channels/second vs 100 channels/sec). If you have more than a handful of channels that you are scanning, you can easily miss transmissions. They also tend to overload if there are nearly FM broadcast stations or other nearby transmitters, particularly when using an external antenna. This will cause them to be deaf to channels you are trying to listen to.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
And no Baofeng will decode P25. Don't bother using one as a digital scanner.

NineInchNails

Premium Subscriber
Thanks guys! Much appreciated. I have much to learn. Will continue shopping around.

teufler

if your area is type r 1, p25, you can get a good buy on a 396xt. its been discontinued because so many have gone to typer 2, but if you can get by with type 1, they work fine. 3 or 4 years ago there were selling for $280 to $300, now ebay hgas some selling for $130. Digital comms is really picky these days. Pubic safety is p25 type 1 or type 2. Some edacs, though its been phased out. The 396xt copies p25 type 1, edacs, LTR. They will not do dmr, newer scanners can but if not being transmitted in your area, you don't need it. Some depts have gone encrypted and if so, you will be sol, because nothing receives encrypted, except the radios in the depts group.

Golay

Premium Subscriber
Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P25)

If you click on the blue box that says Indiana Project Hoosier SAFE-T (P25), you'll open up your statewide system. Scroll down until you find Marshall County. Voilà. Here's the primary communications for your county. On a P25 digital system that you cannot receive on your Baofeng.
I'm taking an educated guess the frequencies you listed are the old channels that were used before Marshall County joined the statewide system.

NineInchNails

Premium Subscriber
You would think that PD encryption would be public record. I mean ... what could possibly justify, legally, a change from public to SECRET? I can understand certain tactical frequencies being secret for obvious reasons, but for all local public PD frequencies to go secret seems odd.

I imagine a FOIA request (Freedom Of Information Act request) should cover it.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You would think that PD encryption would be public record. I mean ... what could possibly justify, legally, a change from public to SECRET? I can understand certain tactical frequencies being secret for obvious reasons, but for all local public PD frequencies to go secret seems odd.

I imagine a FOIA request (Freedom Of Information Act request) should cover it.

You need to do a search on encryption. It's been beat to death many times over on this forum.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
To clarify... P25 frequencies COULD be encrypted, but not necessarily. P25 is just a type of digital modulation that requires a more sophisticated type of receiver. Many public safety agencies have migrated to digital radio systems but most elect to encrypt only the most sensitive channels. Dispatch and routine tactical channels can often (but not always) be monitored with the appropriate scanners. More accurate information can usually be found on the RR state discussion forums.

John AC4JK

SpugEddy

Premium Subscriber
All things aside ( P25 issues), Steve Simpkin is dead on.
I have 5 of these radios and they are horrible for scanning.
They scan very, very slow and scanning will chew up even
an upgraded battery.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Trust those of us who have the radio. It scans but it's not a scanner.

Otto

Trust those of us who have the radio. It scans but it's not a scanner.

Ain't that the truth. A newbie buddy of mine bought a baofeng when he first got his ticket, and I dumped a code plug in it for with all his local fire and LE stuff. He thought that was a normal scan speed until he bought a Yaesu... he called me up, all excited about the speed it scanned at. I just laughed, and showed him how fast my ten year old Bearcat 15x scanned. He was blown away how fast it scanned compared to a Yaesu. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrtiptop

You see that box at the top left that says P25 Phase 1? And the box to the right that says "Used by county public safety"?. Your radios will not receive P25. While you may occasionally receive some traffic on analog when they use it, the bulk of their transmissions are digital.

Thank You !

Status
Not open for further replies.