• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng UV-82 Charge Battery with AC Invertor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
Recently purchased a Baofeng UV-82HP. There are no DC cigarette plugs which will work with the desktop charger and the battery packs lack any power plug openings.

Here is my question. I have a 12v DC to 110v AC Power Invertor, plugs in the cigarette lighter. I used to run my laptop computer off it when on the road.

The wall adapter is 100-240v input with output of 10v 0.5a to the desktop charger. If the AC Power Invertor runs and charges my laptop computer, would it also work if I plugged in the Baofeng wall adapter into it and charge the batteries with the desktop charger?

Would that work when on the road, since there is no other way to charge the batteries except with the wall desktop charger??

Thx,

jeepsandradios

Feed Provider
It will. The charger with this radio sucks. I also just picked up 2 BF888's that use a similar charger. We are at the NASCAR track and the only way i can charge is via inverter.

cmdrwill

The 'desktop charger' has a DC voltage requirement of approximately 10 volts, check the specs on your charger. Too high of a voltage into the charger will destroy the charging circuit, a very small IC that does not seem to have any data on it.

I have not found any good cig lighter cords with a built in regulator to match the requirement.

I did make up a few cig plug cords with a regulator in them using a three terminal regulator IC on a small heatsink.

dazey77

Inverter is not a good way to do this. It is much better to put together a very simple DC regulator circuit to drop the 12-14V from the vehicle to 10V to go into the charge base.
I have one fitted in an adaptor cable.

dazey77

(although worth noting that the switchmode psus 'may' not work with non-sine wave inverters)

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
I am not electronically inclined, so it is the invertor or nothing. I plugged the invertor in, then the wall adapter. Plugged in the power cord to the cradle and watched the green power light come on while I held my breath. Did not smell smoke and the cradle did not get hot. Contacted BaofengTech support, who said the low power 50watt/100watt peak invertor should work with no problems. I have some of the Ebay DC cords but do not know how to tell the power plug size and polarity. Tried the local radio shack who wanted to sell me the $45 kit with the 10 adapters.

DickH

I am not electronically inclined, so it is the invertor or nothing. I plugged the invertor in, then the wall adapter. Plugged in the power cord to the cradle and watched the green power light come on while I held my breath. Did not smell smoke and the cradle did not get hot. Contacted BaofengTech support, who said the low power 50watt/100watt peak invertor should work with no problems. I have some of the Ebay DC cords but do not know how to tell the power plug size and polarity. Tried the local radio shack who wanted to sell me the $45 kit with the 10 adapters.

You asked the questions and got valid answers, yet you continue to talk about an inverter.
1. The 12 volt inverteer output will likely damage the UV-82 charging cradle.
2. Any Baofeng cable with a cigarette lighter plug will work with the UV-82 charging cradle.

rtorella

Premium Subscriber
You asked the questions and got valid answers, yet you continue to talk about an inverter.
2. Any Baofeng cable with a cigarette lighter plug will work with the UV-82 charging cradle.

Hey chill out there! Your opinion is not the only valid one here. Split down the middle so your "yet you continue to talk" blah blah is irrelevant. Please find another topic to be negate on, or go to Facebook where that thrives.

I was merely gathering several opinions regarding, yes, using an Invertor. I have searched for a DC Cigarette plug to use on the desktop charger. The ones on Ebay do not show or have the correct power end. Otherwise, that would be my first choice.

DickH

... The ones on Ebay do not show or have the correct power end. Otherwise, that would be my first choice.

Didn't you read my last post?
"2. Any Baofeng cable with a cigarette lighter plug will work with the UV-82 charging cradle."

cmdrwill

Yes 12 volts into the charger will destroy the battery charging chip.

Most all "Baofeng cable with a cigarette lighter plug" do NOT have a voltage regulator in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.