Barrie Live Streams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
There used to be one but the fine fella doesn't seem to get much coverage I don't think so it's never online.

However, I was gonna ask you if there was one online for the area around Northumberland/Peterborough/Quinte region.

The one that covers the Quinte region I've never really heard anything on it, except for right now when I'm listening, not sure what's on it, but it doesn't seem to active. http://72.38.177.213:8080/listen.pls - www.geocities.com/ipaidthebills

Kawartha Lakes area can sometimes be found on shoutcast.com

Atleast Durham/Toronto region Fire is available on the IncidentBroadcast.com teamspeak network.

And we can't forget the feeds on LiveScannerAudio.com that cover parts of Ontario as well. Plus there's one in Ottawa that provides great EMS/Fire coverage @ http://ottscanlive.no-ip.org/

And last but not least, there's always the Timmins feed too http://www.ve3acl.vze.com/

Myself I'd like to see a few more in Eastern Ontario and Central Ontario.

Essex County and surrounding area OPP can be found on the Detroit Michigan area scanner feed. http://67.149.71.152:8000/listen.pls

Did I miss any areas?

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Any good Hamilton Live feeds for police? Maybe i should create a Page with all Ontario Live Feeds on my site.....

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
Hi Matt , your feed has the hum to it think you will need to address the issue... Nice to see it back up again... When i used the 785 i had the hum on my feed but when i switched to a 330T the hum went away.....

mbstone99

Feed

Chrome69 said:
Hi Matt , your feed has the hum to it think you will need to address the issue... Nice to see it back up again... When i used the 785 i had the hum on my feed but when i switched to a 330T the hum went away.....

I am not sure what is giving it the hum, but I know there is the obvious static problem which is due to something in this apartment. Any radio that I have when using it in here has that problem. I think I might have get an outdoor 800mhz antenna and mount it out on my balcony to eliminate that problem. It's a very odd where only certain frequencies that I suspect is having this noise problem.

Matt

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
Are you using Mic or Line in? You could always turn the Line in level down in the record properties and turn the scanner volume up, might reduce the hum.

mbstone99

Feed

ve3nsv said:
Are you using Mic or Line in? You could always turn the Line in level down in the record properties and turn the scanner volume up, might reduce the hum.

I am using a Rat Shack 2051 fed into a SB16 in RedHat Linux box using the line in. I turned down the line level a bit and pumped up the volume on the scanner a tad. The one thing that really still annoys me is all that static on certain frequencies.

Matt

mbstone99

Noise

mbstone99 said:
I am using a Rat Shack 2051 fed into a SB16 in RedHat Linux box using the line in. I turned down the line level a bit and pumped up the volume on the scanner a tad. The one thing that really still annoys me is all that static on certain frequencies.

Matt

I think I solved the majority of the static problems tonight. There may be some but from monitoring the feed since playing around with it I noticed that there isn't as much noise on those frequencies that were problematic.

Matt

jellotor

Matt, do a google search for ground loops. That may be part of your problem. Back when I had to worry about such things, ground loops caused lots of problems between two sets of audio equipment...for example a TV mobile and an in-house PA system. A solution I found was to drop the ground on one of the audio devices or to place in-line an old Shure mixer with the ground pin busted off. Eliminating the ground connection between the two sides eliminated the hum.

Could be a similar problem with your setup. The chassis of your scanner and your computer should be grounded, so you may be able to lift the ground.

mbstone99

Ground Loop

jellotor said:
Matt, do a google search for ground loops. That may be part of your problem. Back when I had to worry about such things, ground loops caused lots of problems between two sets of audio equipment...for example a TV mobile and an in-house PA system. A solution I found was to drop the ground on one of the audio devices or to place in-line an old Shure mixer with the ground pin busted off. Eliminating the ground connection between the two sides eliminated the hum.

Could be a similar problem with your setup. The chassis of your scanner and your computer should be grounded, so you may be able to lift the ground.

Hey G, thanks I will check it out and see what I can come up with.

Matt

Chrome69

Premium Subscriber
yup Matt thats what you need is a ground loop... Funny the 780, 785 and 796 all require that as well but the portables don't maybe the audio out is grounded on the portables?

jellotor

Actually what he needs to do is eliminate the ground loop. Here's a bit of info from my ground loop bible, the Rane AVA22d Audio/Video Delay Alignment manual...

"Each component of a sound system produces its own ground internally. This ground is usually called the audio SIGNAL ground. Connecting devices together with the interconnecting cables can tie the signal grounds of the two units together in one place through the conductors in the cable."

I would suggest trying first a mono cable (ie standard mono mini plug) to see if the problem is related to a third conductor in the cable tying the chassis grounds between the computer & scanner together. If a mono cable works, chances are it was a ground loop.

If the hum is still there, check for interference and possibly upgrade to a higher standard of cable, one that is better shielded. Also, check the cable run for any potential interference from crossing AC lines. It's kind of a long shot, but check nonetheless.

Without seeing Matt's setup I would stake my reputation on the problem either being a faulty/intermittent connector, ground loop problem/mismatched cable or combination of the two.

Chrome, the audio out is grounded no matter what...without a ground you won't get a signal as the circuit isn't complete. The difference with a handheld is that the case isn't made of metal which means the 'ground' isn't really a chassis ground, per se. For example, a discriminator tap would have to be grounded to the same spot as the headphone jack is. And having cracked open a BC250D only once or twice, I have no idea where that would be. However, electrically and functionally, a base/mobile and handheld are identical in the need for a ground.

Last edited:

mbstone99

Ground Loop

jellotor said:
Actually what he needs to do is eliminate the ground loop. Here's a bit of info from my ground loop bible, the Rane AVA22d Audio/Video Delay Alignment manual...

"Each component of a sound system produces its own ground internally. This ground is usually called the audio SIGNAL ground. Connecting devices together with the interconnecting cables can tie the signal grounds of the two units together in one place through the conductors in the cable."

I would suggest trying first a mono cable (ie standard mono mini plug) to see if the problem is related to a third conductor in the cable tying the chassis grounds between the computer & scanner together. If a mono cable works, chances are it was a ground loop.

If the hum is still there, check for interference and possibly upgrade to a higher standard of cable, one that is better shielded. Also, check the cable run for any potential interference from crossing AC lines. It's kind of a long shot, but check nonetheless.

Without seeing Matt's setup I would stake my reputation on the problem either being a faulty/intermittent connector, ground loop problem/mismatched cable or combination of the two.

Chrome, the audio out is grounded no matter what...without a ground you won't get a signal as the circuit isn't complete. The difference with a handheld is that the case isn't made of metal which means the 'ground' isn't really a chassis ground, per se. For example, a discriminator tap would have to be grounded to the same spot as the headphone jack is. And having cracked open a BC250D only once or twice, I have no idea where that would be. However, electrically and functionally, a base/mobile and handheld are identical in the need for a ground.

Hmm well maybe you will have to come over and take a look see sometime then as you totally lost me there big time.

Matt

mbstone99

Feed

mbstone99 said:
Hmm well maybe you will have to come over and take a look see sometime then as you totally lost me there big time.

Matt

Anyways just wanted to let ya'll now I will well I am down in Dallas, TX (and yes I have my scanners with me) for the next 12 days but the feed is up and that machine should be ok if there is a small power outage as it is on a backup UPS. If you have any type of problems while I am away just let me know and I will try to correct them if possible.

Matt

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.