Base vs. Mobile reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

microphone

Premium Subscriber
I looked through a few pages here and didn't see this topic although I find it hard to believe it hasn't been discussed before, so sorry if this is redundant.

This question is for any model scanner although the model(s) I'm looking at are the Uniden BCD436HP and 536 base version.

I only can buy 1 and not 2. I'm not going to use this in the car but would like to move it from my home to office on a regular basis. So I might need to find an extra AC cord and I know the sound is probably richer on the 536 but the portability of the 436 is attractive. I've never owned either, just seen what I've read (as far as size).

My BIGGEST concern (question) is I grew up always believing that all things being equal (both the base and mobile have telescoping antennas) that the base reception is stronger for fringe signals. Is that true or a myth? I also read I could upgrade the mobile to a "higher end" telescoping antenna to help that if necessary.

I'm not in an urban area, more of a rural area (western Massachusetts).

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any thoughts you have.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
If you were to use the same identical antenna on either the handheld or base, there'd be no discernible difference in performance. I say discernible because most of us don't possess the lab equipment needed to accurately test these radios. (Think Sherwood Engineering.) If your need for portability outweighs the need for audio quality, go with the 436.

microphone

Premium Subscriber
Bob, thanks, that answers my question. If we have to split hairs, then I'll call it a draw.

I just didn't want to be sitting in Petersburg and hear Westerlo police with 2 signal bars on the base but hear nothing on the handheld.

Ubbe

Portables are always a compromise. If they where equal to a base/mobile they would only manufacture the portable scanners design to save costs and put in a small box and have the control panel separate as a remote for base/mobile use, taking less space and be perfect for vehicle use. Components in a radio needs to be separated in distance to not interact with each other, you'll notice that when opening up and looking in a base/mobile scanner.

If you can use both a base/mobile or a portable, then always go for the base/mobile. If you need portability and small size then you have to sacrifice some performance. A portable have less air that circulates in it to handle heat and less cooling effect from large metal surfaces. When material gets hot it expands and when cooling down it retracts creating more stress on all components that reduces their life.

/Ubbe

Scan125

With a good portable and suitable real time control software (probably all PC Windows based) then you can have the best of both worlds. The software should enable you to easily control your hand held scanner as though it were a large base station. You can also of course go out and about.

The down side is that you have to be comfortable with using a PC and software but for many this is not a real problem once they get used to working this way.

Probably what is key is that your chosen scanner can do what you want it to do/receive (digital, trunking, etc.). I only have simple analogue scanner (Uniden 125 type) so can not offer any technical advise / information regarding the more capable higher end scanners.

microphone

Premium Subscriber
With a good portable and suitable real time control software (probably all PC Windows based) then you can have the best of both worlds. The software should enable you to easily control your hand held scanner as though it were a large base station. You can also of course go out and about.

The down side is that you have to be comfortable with using a PC and software but for many this is not a real problem once they get used to working this way.

Probably what is key is that your chosen scanner can do what you want it to do/receive (digital, trunking, etc.). I only have simple analogue scanner (Uniden 125 type) so can not offer any technical advise / information regarding the more capable higher end scanners.

Having purchased my last 3 scanners in the early 2000's, Real Time Control Software is a little out of my knowledge database. I Googled it and it reconfirmed that statement!

microphone

Premium Subscriber
I even had the Home Patrol 2 in this mix of what to buy, based on the portability aspect mentioned above, but everything I have researched seems to give the seemingly clear edge to the 436. I'm receptive to thoughts that would show that incorrect!

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Purchase the 436, save your money, then buy the 536 later. The 436 can be used as a "desktop" scanner, but the 536 can't be used portably. In any event, try to avoid the "paralysis of analysis" with your choice.

Kd8lzl

Years ago I bought a 325p2. Got it running and been using it at work and at home. I just got tired of taking it home everyday after a few years so I just bought a 996p2 last week. Good luck with your purchase!

scanfreqer

Scanfreqer
Premium Subscriber
I have a Uniden SDS 100, that I use everywhere I go. I just added the Motorola with P25 to my Alinco and Realistic Ham collection and got the frequency counter and a dipole antenna at the Parry Sound Hamfest last weekend. 89F542A3-540E-4A7B-B529-415F49666CD0.jpeg

RU55

Radio receiver
I know you are talking about differences in the radios, but the biggest difference between base and mobile stations, is the antenna. If you want use your radio as base and mobile, and the base is too big to go mobile, the get the hand held radio.

When you have it set up as a base radio, you can have a much better antenna and hear more because that antenna. When you go mobile, your antenna choices are somewhat limited. (Although, I have see some pretty big mobile antennas.)

microphone

Premium Subscriber
Purchase the 436, save your money, then buy the 536 later. The 436 can be used as a "desktop" scanner, but the 536 can't be used portably. In any event, try to avoid the "paralysis of analysis" with your choice.

And that is what I did, bought the 436 and put the 536 on a wish list. Thanks everyone for your input.

microphone

Premium Subscriber
When you have it set up as a base radio, you can have a much better antenna and hear more because that antenna.

I am limited (meaning no roof or attic) to what I can do for an antenna on the 436. Anyone have experience/a suggestion of what they have or would do for an antenna? My last base scanners here at 400 feet elevation just had telescoping antennas.

engvan

The big thing is a emergency you can get the handheld and out the door which could happen to everybody any time I had to get of my house.fast that is why I have all hts

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber

microphone

Premium Subscriber
Guys the radio came and it's a beauty. I have updated the Sentinel software, checked the "edition" etc. Quite a change from my decade or two older scanner(s).

I was worried about the signal and initially I'm half right. On the analogue side, I'm getting most everything I got on the old analogue base scanner. A- vs A.

But on the digital side......I'm in the heart of Franklin County and all the analogue State Towers (Shelburne, Bernardston, Mt. Toby, Mt. Tom) come in with 4-5 signal bars. But on the digital side, the scanner will "hold" on some digital channels with no audio or just skip right over to the analogue. I would think I would get the North Tower with no issues, but I get virtually nothing. I checked the analogue with my old scanner and the "scrambled" signal on the North Tower is 5 bars strong.

What am I doing wrong?

hexagon_keyhole

Premium Subscriber
Guys the radio came and it's a beauty. I have updated the Sentinel software, checked the "edition" etc. Quite a change from my decade or two older scanner(s).

I was worried about the signal and initially I'm half right. On the analogue side, I'm getting most everything I got on the old analogue base scanner. A- vs A.

But on the digital side......I'm in the heart of Franklin County and all the analogue State Towers (Shelburne, Bernardston, Mt. Toby, Mt. Tom) come in with 4-5 signal bars. But on the digital side, the scanner will "hold" on some digital channels with no audio or just skip right over to the analogue. I would think I would get the North Tower with no issues, but I get virtually nothing. I checked the analogue with my old scanner and the "scrambled" signal on the North Tower is 5 bars strong.

What am I doing wrong?

You might be experiencing Simulcast Distortion if you are attempting to listen to Commonwealth of Massachusetts Interoperable Radio System (CoMIRS) with the BCD436HP. Only Uniden SDS100/200 and Unication Pagers can reliably work on Simulcast.

Ronnierozier2

Premium Subscriber
I guess I have some reading to do tonight. Thanks!

I might get some backlash for saying this but I bought the 436 and couldnt hardley hear anything. I returned the 436 and went ahead and purchased the SDS100. In MY HUMBLE OPINION the SDS100 reciever is so much better than the 436. I live in a small town in rual Mississippi and with the stock antenna on the SDS100 I cant pickup much. I mounted a 60" omni on the back of my house 35' in the air with 100' of LMR400 feedline and was able to pickup 4 different towers around me at that point. Today I upgraded my feedline to 115' of HELIAX LDF4-50A and it seems that my signals are now even stronger.

send back the 436 and throw a little more money in the pot and get you an SDS100, it's what I did and I am EXTREMELY happy with my radio ! If your in a simulcast area you need the sds100 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.