BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Battery Charging Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblacker

Premium Subscriber
The scanner has a battery charging time setting between 1 and 14 hours. My question is if I set the time for less (let's say 4 or 6 hours) does it make the batteries charge faster? If so, will changing this damage the scanner? I just bought it and I really don't want to fry it.

Thank you in advance for any help with this.
Jim

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
The internal charger is a timed charger. It will put the same amount of charge to the batteries until is shuts down. If you used it for 5 minutes or 5 hours, the internal charger will charge the same. If you did only use it for 5 minutes, the internal charger may ruin the batteries. Few people use the internal charger. Most get a "smart" charger that reads the battery to determine how much it needs and charges accordingly. I use a Maha charger but there are other brands out there that will work just fine.

jblacker

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I have an older Energizer quick charger. Do you think that would work? It still charges the AA and AAA rechargeable batteries I use for flashlights and such.

Thank you.

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
Slow charging is better for the long life of rechargeable batteries. As kk4jug posted, a good external will have the ability to sense the battery's charge state, and adjust accordingly.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
In addition, "smart" chargers can sometimes even revive weaker batteries through a charge, discharge and recharge cycle. It'll be money well-spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.