BC125AT: BC125AT Bank question

Zombiel3

disMember
Hi All,
I'm new to the scanning community and I just purchased a Bearcat scanner. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to scan through 1 full bank of 50 saved frequencies? The reason for asking is because I live close to 2 airports. I"m trying to decide whether or not to enter all of my frequencies in 1 bank or separate them in to 2 banks by airport. There's roughly 20 to 25 frequencies per airport.
Thanks!

jtwalker

Premium Subscriber
If you have the RCAG sites for your area, the chance of making it through a bank without stopping for traffic is practically NIL. So the amount of traffic you’ll be getting is more a factor than number of channels. You still might want to separate the two airports.

Zombiel3

disMember
I live in Trenton. I'm 5 minutes from CFB Trenton and I'm literally under the approach path of runway 06 and departure path of 24. Globemasters and Super Hercs buzz my house on a daily basis along with the occasional pair of Hornets.
I'm also 90ish minutes from Toronto so I will be scanning Pearson and Billy Bishop. I'm not really interested in listening to commercial traffic but when I go to the Canadian International Air Show every year in September I'd like to be able to listen in on all the air show traffic. Mostly the military stuff.

Thanks for that source! I will check it out.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
So I just came across this vid on Youtube and the guy seems to think it only scans 9 channels per second. I'm confused.
We all know you can’t believe everything you read on the internet. I would not call 9 channels per second for a scanner impressive 😇

Program your radio with 20 channels in one bank and 20 channels in another bank. Does it take .5sec to scan through both banks (80 channels per sec) or does it take closer to 4.5sec to scan through both banks (9 channels per second)?

Zombiel3

disMember
Haha very true!

I don't know how to tell how fast it's going. Mine doesn't display the channels when it's scanning. It just displays SCAN and the 1 and 2 at the bottom flash to let me know it's scanning banks 1 and 2. Is there another way I can check?

Sorry, like I said I'm very new to scanning.

RMason

Premium Subscriber
How fast does it take to scan through both bank 1 and bank2? This is how fast the “1 at the bottom” will flash. How many frequencies are in each bank?

RMason

Premium Subscriber
For 10 channels in each bank, the 1 in the display should flash about 4 times per second for a 80channel/sec scan rate. (It would flash about 1 time every 2 seconds for a 9channel/sec rate)

My bet is on 80channels/sec as stated in the Uniden manuals.