BC125AT Firmware Update Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

jheuer

I just received my 125 and figuring things out... I'll be patient.
Only question for now is regarding the firmware. On startup, I get "Version 1.04.02" displayed, and I can't find details on that release anywhere.

The BC125ATFirmwareUpdate page has 1.03.01 (Sept 5, 2012) as the latest. Can anyone fill me in as to what the updates are, and if I do actually have the latest?

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
That's VERY interesting that you just bought a new scanner with firmware version 1.04.02... I just checked the Uniden Firmware Loader, version 3.01 today and it still says the latest firmware is version 1.03.01.

UPMAN, what's changed and how do we update???

I just received my 125 and figuring things out... I'll be patient.
Only question for now is regarding the firmware. On startup, I get "Version 1.04.02" displayed, and I can't find details on that release anywhere.

The BC125ATFirmwareUpdate page has 1.03.01 (Sept 5, 2012) as the latest. Can anyone fill me in as to what the updates are, and if I do actually have the latest?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
1.04.02 drops the max charge time from 16 to 14 hours to make the scanner compliant with CEC mandate (a California thing). Doesn't do anything else, so no real need to spend time publishing an update. If we have some bug fix or enhancement in the future, I'll put it out there.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
You've gotta be kidding me! California really is a screwed up state. The mere fact that they can force a hardware manufacturer to change the charging times to support some idiotic green initiative is just plain crazy... Anyone else sick and tired of government interventions yet? Seriously??? Give me a break...

Oh well, thanks for the reply UPMAN; always there for us...

1.04.02 drops the max charge time from 16 to 14 hours to make the scanner compliant with CEC mandate (a California thing). Doesn't do anything else, so no real need to spend time publishing an update. If we have some bug fix or enhancement in the future, I'll put it out there.

njcamper

i also have recently bought a 125 at do they have a book or something i can download that describes how to get to the various features

Jake389

So with the update 1.03.01 or 1.04.02 are the steps between 154.6500 and 157.4475 7.5 or 5 now? I am Canadian and will use the Canadian settings. Or to ask in a different way, is the pdf that Scan369 attached on p2 of this thread for the Canadian plan accurate?

Thanks

Last edited:

RDCat

Premium Subscriber
Help needed with the BC-125AT- i;m using a hp win 8 laptop- i cannot get drivers installed to configure my scanner,anyone have any ideas

Windk

I would like to address with suggestion for developers of at125:

add a mode in which (in scan mode) do output on port the next data, example of a format:
>date,time_start,frequency,levelSmeter,time_end;
Then add to "BC125AT OPERATION SPECIFICATION Appendix C" the description of that command.

It will allow create a software (Windows, Android) for automatic logging of the received signals.

Thanks.

KD4UXQ

Is the UHF Mil Air band expandabled with firmware?

That would be a good update unless the RF and IF can't handle it.

I was interested in a BC125AT as a dedicated Mil Air scanner until I learned it didn't cover 380-400 MHz. I had to resort to a Radio Shack Pro-164 as a dedicated air band radio.

I monitored a fair amount of Mil Air traffic while on vacation in Daytona Beach last week with my BCD396XT and Pro-164.

387.15, 387.65 and 383.75 were pretty active.

Command Posts are also common in the 383 range.

UHF military aviation radios cover all the way up to 399.975 MHz and so it is likely some of these frequencies will always be used for aviation, regardless of trunking in the range.

Really is a shame the BC125AT got cut short on coverage.

Logan005

I have had my BC125at for about a week. I also have ver. 1.04.02 so was a little more confused than usual at first. I purchased this after I found my old scanner model listed as "Vintage" on fleaBay. So I did the research and decided on the BC125at. I wanted a scanner that displayed the CTCSS and DCS of incoming signals, However this scanner does not seem to Log this information. Maybe I have not found out how to do it. If I am not looking at the display during the transmission, I get no record of the frequency or the tone code. I know there is a Close Call log. but this only captures when the transmitting radio is very close. even when I am looking at the display the code blinks in and out and if transmission is short, it never shows at all. I am only using BANK1 so would be nice if I could use unused BANKS to log frequency and tone for reference at a later time. If this scanner will not do this, does anyone know one that does. Thanks in advance, Jim...

tilt404

My Uniden BCT15X seems to show the CTCSS/DCS tone in search. Had it show me one the other day. Its still new to me though and so is my BC125AT. My GRE PSR800 does how I prefer though, shows and stores the tone. I couldn't find anything in the Butel software I use or the Uniden software to enable any such feature on the BC125AT. It seemed to be stripped down feature wise from the options available on my BCT15X. At least in the software that I could set. Still much to learn though so I could be wrong.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
IIRC, if you press E while the channel/found tone is displayed, it takes you directly to the menu to store the tone.

tugbuff

Nice little scanner. I just bought it from Radio Shack, & saved $50.00 off of the list price. This is my first scanner with trunked channel capability, and the ability to use computer software for programming. Also, I now have 500 channels to play with. I am a licensed ham radio operator (KC2WAS), and will program some of the ham radio repeaters in one of the banks. I am also interested in rail and marine communications, so I will program some of these frequencies into some of the other banks. The rest of the banks, I will program fire and other frequencies from my area that may interest me. I also have a 50 channel Radio Shack Pro-70 scanner that has served me well for the past 15 years. I will still use it, but with a lot of upcoming changes with various frequencies in various services that I like to monitor, along with changes that have already taken place, I decided to purchase this little gem to be current and up to date. A beautiful antenna to use with this scanner, is the Diamond RH77CA. I recently purchased this antenna, and I highly recommend it. I have used it on the Pro-70, before I bought this BC125AT. I used it today on the new radio, and saw the great difference between it, and the rubber ducky that originally came in the box. I have also used this antenna on my Icom W-32A Handheld. I have noticed a big difference, in both transmit and receive as well. I may buy another Diamond RH77CA antenna in the near future, but at present, I have the capability of interchanging the one that I have between the three radios. I will post again, after I have used the BC125AT for a while, and let everyone know my likes and dislikes. I am pleased for the short time that I have had it, and it is now a matter of getting used to a more sophisticated piece of equipment, and using it for a while which will tell my complete tale of satisfaction

SquierStrat

On startup, I get "Version 1.04.02" displayed, and I can't find details on that release anywhere.

I just picked one of these up at radio shack during their black friday sale. Hadnt been in my local store for a while and was surprised to see the selection of Uniden scanners they had in stock. I dont recall ever seeing an actual Uniden brand scanner in there, but this weekend they had the bc75xlt, bc125at, bcd396xt, and an empty spot on the shelf for an HP-1.

Back on topic, I ran into the same thing jheuer ran in to. The firmware version it comes with is higher than the "current" firmware version on the website. So once i "downgrade" the firmware, that will get rid of that california charging restriction, and that is all?

tugbuff

For those who have purchased this scanner, and may be tearing your hair out with installing these drivers, and getting them to be compatible with your computer, I finally have the answer . After three days of numerous phone calls to Uniden Tech Support, in which I was hanging on the phone for well over a half hour for each call, I was persistent, and finally broke through to talk with an agent. Uniden's Tech & Customer Support Needs a lot of polishing. People spending large sums of money for their products, should receive better attention and service than they are getting.

With that behind me, go to this link: BC125AT < UnidenMan4 < TWiki, and you will find the USB Drivers, Programming Software, Firmware, & a downloadable Owners Manual in pdf form. Extract the programming software, USB Drivers and firmware, and set the files up on your computer. The folder with the USB Drivers, when opened will show two empty folders. One will be labeled Win7, and the other XP. If you are running Windows Vista, don't worry, the USB drivers will work. Go to start, click open My Computer, and open your C Drive. Then, you will next open the Windows Folder, and look for another folder labeled INF. The extracted files for your USB Drivers will be copied from your documents, and pasted into that INF folder. When you attach the scanner to a USB port, and turn it on, the Device Manager should now recognize the scanner. The instructions that were sent to me by Uniden are below.

Please follow this link: BC125AT < UnidenMan4 < TWiki to download the driver. Please be sure that the scanner or the USB cord is not connected to the computer until instructed to by the steps below.

1. download and open the zip file
2. copy the BC125AT_USB_driver folder to an open are of your desktop, open it, and open either the XP or Win7 folder(depending on the OS of the computer you are doing this on)
3. open up MY COMPUTER(Win7 will list it just as COMPUTER) through your start menu
4. open your C: drive, then the Windows folder, and finally the INF folder
5. copy the file that you were looking at the end of step 2 and paste into the INF folder on your computer
6. run the BC125AT_SS programming software, turn on your scanner, and connect it up via the USB cord
7. If the computer does not automatically run through the installation, select on the TOOLS tab at the top of the programming software and select the COM PORT SETTING option
8. select on DEVICE MANAGER
9. right click on the model number of the scanner in the next window prompt under OTHER DEVICES and select UPDATE DRIVER
10. allow it to search automatically, it will find it, and start to install it for you

Once the installation is complete, you may go back to the COM PORT SETTING window and select AUTO DETECT and it should indicate that it was detected if it installed properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.