BC245XLT Display Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CStarr59

Anyone who has one of these tell me if...
It has alpha tags?
Backlight can stays on constantly?
Pro and Cons?

I saw a slightly used one for sale in fairly good condition, and was considering picking it up.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It does not have alpha tags

you can cause the backlight to stay on constantly via software (the freeware Senss program has a setting, and I believe so does Scan Control). However be aware that such a setting is not maintained by the scanner - you turn it off, and the backlight goes back to normal op

Does not do digital, no milair nor can it support rebanding. No tone (PL or DCS) capability - however mine is very sensitive, lots of software for it, hi-cap batteries are available. Make sure it has the computer cable, which is nearly impossible to find.

If you can live without the alpha tags, and have nothing but analog systems in your area, this is one you can throw in the car without much trouble 73 Mike

waltmapb

Feed Provider
I use Scan Control and the software has an additional setting that will cause the backlight to come on any time it receives a transmission and goes off after 15 sec. Also it support rebanding for EDACS systems.

CStarr59

Thanks for the quick replies. I was really interested in the alpha tags, it's a nice feature that I like alot. I'll just pass it by for now. It does come with the computer cable though. I might as well bite the bullet and buy a new scanner....? So many choices....? I don't require digital, so that should save several hundred off the price.

Eng74

Thanks for the quick replies. I was really interested in the alpha tags, it's a nice feature that I like alot. I'll just pass it by for now. It does come with the computer cable though. I might as well bite the bullet and buy a new scanner....? So many choices....? I don't require digital, so that should save several hundred off the price.

The 346XT is a great radio and comes with everything but the software, but Freescan works with it.

motomeso

Premium Subscriber
I use Scan Control and the software has an additional setting that will cause the backlight to come on any time it receives a transmission and goes off after 15 sec. Also it support rebanding for EDACS systems.

The scanner will do that with out the software by holding the backlight key until you hear the double beeps.

CStarr59

Eng74 346xt is $214 and in stock at scannermaster, just ordered it and it should be here in a few days. I already have the usb1 cable and I'm downloading freescan now and setting up my frequencies.

Eng74

Eng74 346xt is $214 and in stock at scannermaster, just ordered it and it should be here in a few days. I already have the usb1 cable and I'm downloading freescan now and setting up my frequencies.

Hope you like it. Hey Scannermaster and UPMan where is my commistion? LOL

Jakemcgraw

Hi, Cstarr59..I think you made a good choice, and hope you enjoy your new scanner when you recieve it...I got a 346xt back in oct. and like it alot...I live out in the country with mountains around me, and i still recieve frequencies up to 65 miles around, and quite clearly !..My fiance lives in your county and i can pick up one of your police and one med frequency, a bit staticy but readable, from that distance...All on just the stock antenna !!...I like my gre 300 also,,but the 346xt sure gives it good competition, recieving a bit more than it does...Enjoy and let us know how you like it after you use it .

CStarr59

Thanks Les, I appreciate the info. I also have a psr-300 that I use alot and it receives well with an upgraded antenna. There are so many mountains around here that it makes it diffacult sometimes to pick up good signals, (the psr-300 has a hard time with this) I do live way up on a hill so it helps. I mainly use a RS pro-137 as it is my best receiving scanner, I can hear stuff 40-50 miles away with just a little MH-255 antenna on it. It's form and function is very similar to the 346xt so I should be able to get it up and running fairly quickly. Now I just have to wait for the UPS truck to show up...!

Status
Not open for further replies.