BC246T vs. BC346XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Hi all,

I was thinking of getting a my first Uniden scanner. I really like the BC246 Because of its size. Or should I spend the extra cash on the 346xt because both scanners are very similar. But I can't really decide here....

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
It depends on what you want to listen too. That will determine what scanner you will need.

Those scanners are not similar at all. The 246 may be small but is old technology and it doesn't receive the new 700 MHz band. The 346 does not receive digital.

Let us know where you live and what you want to receive and we can give you some model suggestions. Don't run out and buy a scanner just because it is smaller, or cheaper. You may end up with a scanner that will not receive what you want to hear.

SCPD

QRT
I'm out I'm Mississauga Ontario we currently have a phase ll system in the works to replace our old motorola system. The agencies are balmier down switching over and should be done by the fall. But our ambulance service will still be listenable because it is on a Motorola system that is seperate

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
For Phase II you would need a BCD536HP or BCD436HP.

You should be able to listen to the ambulance service on the older system with the 246T provided they don't use 700 MHz. and with the 346, provided there is no digital and it is not encrypted, other wise you would need a BCD396XT. No scanner will decode encryption.

You may also want to inquire in the Canada Forum and see what others in your area are using.

SCPD

QRT
Well the main reason I was looking at getting a 346XT or C because I wanted to learn to get comfortable with a Uniden so I can learn the ins and outs before I move on to something like a 436HP.

Guys, does this sound like a good idea?

VE3RADIO

The 346 is a great analog scanner.. perhaps the best out.

It has the size and all the features of a 396xt without the digital.

Status
Not open for further replies.