BC396T Sensitivity Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

W5HLM

Premium Subscriber
Greetings,

I just received my BC396T a couple of days ago, and so far, am very disappointed with the sensitivity. When compared to my BC250D, it receives better *without* an antenna than the '396 does *with* an antenna! You have to hold it just right to even get the Houston PD channels, and their transmitter is so strong I can practically pick them up on the fillings in my teeth!

I've checked to ensure that the attenuator is off, and I've tried about six scanner antennas with no significant improvement. I'm not exactly new to scanning--I've been tinkering with these things for about 25 years and have so many radios and scanners I've lost count, so I don't think it's a user error.

Is anyone else seeing these kinds of issues or is it possible I just have a defective radio?

Thanks in advance,

Haskell

safetyobc

It is possilbe that the unit is defective. But I doubt it.

My BCD396T is not very good on VHF-High. I purchased a VHF-High band specific antenna that helped a lot! I also bought the RS800 antenna which greatly improves 800 sensitivity.

I have a Pro-97 and it is slightly more sensitive than the 396. My best receiver is a Yaesu VR-120, it picks up everthing!

I would suggest buying a band specific antenna. This will help.

bobmich52

Hmmm, My 396T SUCKS On Low band, Programmed In The VHF High Extender Freqs, Works Great. But On The Rest Of The Bands, It Receives Great With The Stock Antenna.

Might It Be Your Location? Lots Of Building/Structures In Your area?

Let Us All Know How You Work this One Out

cristisphoto

NOT!!!! but yeah....

safetyobc said:
It is possilbe that the unit is defective. But I doubt it.

NOT!!
yes thier are some MINOR sensitvity Issues ..
But consider that size is small and it packs a "full", reciever..
FM Commercial,TV audio commercial and and of course APCO 25...
the first APCO 25 receiver were funky AND you needed and add on Apco 25 card...
that only about two years ago...
I own a Pro 97 as well..
which I too ove:p
BUt I bought my Uniden not for sensitivity rather for digital..
MONST other comms I use the 97 for that....
SO heck NO the BCD396T is Far from defective..
Actually it the opposite....
A marvel of modernity ,,,,:lol:

ANd then, come on folks
antennas make or break your scannnig....
The stock tennies ARE NOT going to cut it for long.....
Crista

As long as you keep things in perspective then welll....:D

N

NWTSCL

cristisphoto said:
But consider that size is small
The Icom R2 is a great deal smaller than the 396, but its reception is MUCH better. The R2 runs circles around the 396.

If the 396's "features" has something to do with its poor reception, then maybe it has too many "features". After all, its main function is a "scanning receiver", not "Swiss Army knife", right?

consys

Premium Subscriber
We should have known better when Uniden didn't publish the specs.

Love the size & features, not a great radio.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I have found it to be a great little radio. So far it is holding its own next to my PRO-96 on all levels except the amount of time that it holds onto a trunking system. Heck its even picking up Michigans state system and thats about 60 miles away with just a RS 800mhz antenna.

safetyobc

consys said:
We should have known better when Uniden didn't publish the specs.

Love the size & features, not a great radio.

I disagree. I think it is a GREAT radio. It has lots of features I use daily. I didn't give up a lot of sensitivity for the features. I use band specific antennas to focus on which band I want. I think overall, it is the best scanner I own.

It isn't the most sensitive, but I have other scanners to dedicate to certain bands.

Honestly I paid $70 for a Yaesu VR-120 and it is absolutely the best receiver I have ever owned. It picks up 800 and VHF-High at distances I could never have imagined. Does very well on HF too! But it doesn't trunk and isn't digital capable. It doesn't have close call, SAME, scan speed of others, Wx Alert, FTO, etc. I bought the BCD396T for digital. And so far, it has performed well enough for me. I am happy with mine. I take it almost everywhere I go while my other scanners stay home or at work.

I agree with Dubbin, I have regularly picked up TRSs at 40 miles + with the RS 800 antenna. I couldn't be happier!

I guess it is just a matter of opinion.

N

NWTSCL

safetyobc said:
I agree with Dubbin, I have regularly picked up TRSs at 40 miles + with the RS 800 antenna. I couldn't be happier!

I guess it is just a matter of opinion.
Terrain and surronding rf have nothing to do with opinion. Most people don't live in a tiny town with only ~6500 population and little to no hills.

scanjunkie

It's funny...I have read so many threads about how the sensitivity on the 396 pretty much sucks. And everyone backs up the radio by saying that it is packed with great features...I've said it before, and I'll say it again...what good are the great features if you can't receive anything? My PRO-96 may not have a lot of great features like the 396, but I can pick up everything and anything with nothing more than the stock duckie. I suggest you send that 396 back and get yourself a nice PRO-96.

Status
Not open for further replies.