BC796D

Status
Not open for further replies.

tempting78

Feed Provider
A few months ago my scanner stopped picking anything up digital... I am in Grand Traverse County Michigan. My Pro 2096 is running like a champ on the new system and th my Uniden was keeping up beautifully but all of a sudden nothing i have cleared and reprogrammed the system numerous times and nothing. I even have updated the firmware to support the reband.. Anyone out there can help me?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Are you programming the scanner manually or using software? Do you get a display about the digital card when you turn the scanner on?

tempting78

Feed Provider
i know are system has become a little tricky i am sure i just need the right settings plus i am using radio reference to program it works on my pro 2096 does it not work for the 796D

tvengr

Well Known Member
Does it say APCO P25 Card Installed when you turn on the scanner. With the power off, remove the top screw on the expansion slot cover on the rear of the scanner and reseat the card. The digital card has its own firmware. I have both the installation instructions and the firmware. What programming software are you using? If you have ARC250, attach your file and I will check it for problems.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Save a fresh copy of your programming as a standard mem file.
I assume you are using Arc250?

Then rename the extension to .ZIP from .mem and you should be able to attach the renamed file to a new message in this thread using the Attach Files button below your message to the left.
Somebody can then look that over and check for errors.

If you are using other than ARC250, the same procedure applies to upload your file here but do state what software you are using!

tempting78

Feed Provider
Ah thank you. Here is my file.. I must not be catching something right.. I appreciate the help. Like i said my Pro2096 is still working beautifully.
But i miss My BC796D The audio is so much clearer.

Attachments

• mine.zip
    9.8 KB · Views: 4

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I have your file. Which banks are not working?

I wonder if the OPs P25 tune mode settings reset to default values? The 796 manual calls the P25 tune mode "APCO 25 Sound Quality" setting on page 51 of the pdf user manual.
I'd bought a 796 just for something different to play with not long ago. It would not decode voice from our statewide VHF P25 system. Because it would never stop on an active talkgroup, I could not use the tune mode adjustment instructions as it never locked to an active talkgroup. I don't recall how I did it but somehow I got it into the tune mode for the VHF band for our VHF system and then I was able to select a known TG that's usually fairly active. I had to sit on the talkgroup and listen for it with another radio so I knew when it was active. Once it became active, I was able to quickly rotate the VFO control until I started hearing voice decodes on the 796. Then I was finally able to adjust it for the best decode quality and save the setting.

I don't think the factory manual explained how to get the radio into P25 tune mode without an active talkgroup to work with. I figured it out somehow but probably by luck mostly.
I wrote down the best tuning values for the VHF system in a file somewhere so I can set them back to that value if they get reset somehow. I actually did have my P25 values reset themselves to what seemed to be default values once and of course I lost all voice decoding of my VHF P25 system again. I never did figure out what caused the values to reset to default. That only happened one time that I'm aware of. That prompted me to write down the best values for the three bands though just in case it happens again!

For the 800 MHz P25 systems here, the default tune values for that band in the 796 were always close enough to at least decode some voice which made it easy to get the radio into the tune adjustment mode for the 800 band so I could fine tune 800 MHz voice quality. VHF was another story though as the default value was too far off to allow any decoding at all.

Unless I missed something, I'm pretty sure the P25 tune mode values are not visible in any of the available programming software packages made for the 796 so those values cannot be set by any programming software either.
Please tell me how if you have found a way to set the P25 values via programming software as I'm sure mine will get defaulted again somehow!

On another occasion, I tried to purposely default the P25 values for all the bands by using the all clear command of holding down the 2-9-HOLD keys together and powering the 796 on. That reset the radios memory and the other settings but it did not clear or default the tune mode values! They were still at the ultimate settings I'd last set them to.

I don't know what the OPs specific issues are so he/she will need to fill you in on that.
I just wanted to throw this info about the P25 tune mode (sound quality) setting out there so it's not overlooked just in case it could be the cause of the OPs issue(s).

tvengr

Well Known Member
Bank 7 Radio North- Which site do you want? 2 frequencies from North 1 and 1 frequency from South.
Bank 8 TRT Partners and Bank 9 Consumers Energy - All frequencies locked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.