BCD396T Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbowden

I am new to this forum and just purchase the BCD396T scanner. I am wondering if folks have been replacing the stock antenna and what is considered to be the best all around one?

JHaislet

Depends on what you want to listen to. There is no "best" antenna...the best UHF antenna will probably be horrible on 800mhz, ect.

Go-24

I use the RS 800Mhz antenna, which was designed with that frequency in mind.

What frequency do you listen to most?

dimab

if you plan on scanning a specific band, get an antenna for that band.
if you scan a wide range, like myself, I found the stock antenna does the best coverage from 50 - 800MHz

yaesumofo

I own at least 25 antennas.
A good all around off the shelf antenna is the srh77ca This is the sma version of the rh77ca it works. I like telescoping antennas. the watsons come to mind.
Scanners unlimeted has or used to have watsons.
Get antennas which are tuned to the bands that you want to listen to.

Make a collection.
have fun.
Yaesumofo

GTO_04

cubn said:
I use this antenna from Scannermaster:
http://www.scannermaster.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=14-541014

It does quite well for listening while in the city that your are monitoring. I also like it since it is approx. 3 inches long. I haven't used the stock antenna or any other antennas on the 396 so I don't have anything to compare it to.

That antenna works very well for ~860 MHz. That's what I'm using now. Mine is from Antenex. It is every bit as good as the RS-800 and IMHO it is a better fit for the 396.

GTO_04

cristisphoto

JUst be....LOL

Just be careful as not to damage the SMA or BNC connectors:roll:
Mobile anteenas are best ....

Less chance of strainng the Scanners connectors that way...

:cool:
Crista

deejayaustin

Premium Subscriber
"best antenna"

I use an antennex 2.5db gain antenna for 800/900 trunking and conv. That antenna also works well on VHF/UHF public safety freqs. like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=9744012852&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MESE:IT&rd=1

For air/vhf/uhf the "best" i've used so far is the Diamond RH707

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantht/1873.html

Keep in mind, this is for SCANNING only, not transmit. I have about 20 HT antennas right now, and have had and sold about 30 more.. and with all the tests i've run, these have been the best performing antennas.. if you have any questions about scanner antennas or 2m/6m/70cm ham antennas for both HT and mobile, feel free to ask me.. i have info on most all antennas on the market..

-Harmon - K5HDM
k5hdm@digitalsoul.net

Status
Not open for further replies.