BCD396T - boy is it hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go-24

I just got my 396 yesterday woohoo!

Anyway I have been running it along with my 246 all day long (12 hrs at least) the 246 isnt even warm, the 396 is very warm, almost HOT to the touch!

Anyone else notice theirs getting really warm?

wjf

Go-24 said:
I just got my 396 yesterday woohoo!

Anyway I have been running it along with my 246 all day long (12 hrs at least) the 246 isnt even warm, the 396 is very warm, almost HOT to the touch!

Anyone else notice theirs getting really warm?

Got mine a few weeks ago and never noticed it being really warm.

safetyobc

eyes00only said:
Are you charging the batteries?
If so, of course they will heat up.

Jerry

That could be it. I never charge mine in the radio. I bought an Energizer 15 minute Charger and it works great!

800crazy1

love that energizer 15 min charger , i use 4 sets of 3 to make sure i always have charged batteries. never new the charger exsisted till i read it here on RR . works great!! iv never charged mine in my 396 also , no need to with the energizer charger , 15 min and good to go for at least 7-8 hours...

Go-24

eyes00only said:
Are you charging the batteries?
If so, of course they will heat up.

Jerry

Yes, I do have the ac adaptor plugged in when ever it is on my desk. However that is the case with both scanners and one gets hot, one doesnt. If that were the only explanation then both wouldnt both be hot?

slicerwizard

Yes, I do have the ac adaptor plugged in when ever it is on my desk.
So you're overcharging the cells then...

However that is the case with both scanners and one gets hot, one doesnt. If that were the only explanation then both wouldnt both be hot?
The 396 will generate more than 50% more heat while charging, since it has 50% more cells and it puts more charging current through the cells. Have you bothered to feel them? Are both charging switches set to NiMH?

Go-24

Yes, switches on both the 246 and the 396 are set correctly.

Ok, I have unplugged the adaptors to both scanners and will only plug them back in when the batteries get low.

Ill report back if the heating issue doesn’t dissipate - thanks!

slicerwizard

Ok, I have unplugged the adaptors to both scanners and will only plug them back in when the batteries get low.
The good news is that you haven't had the 396 long enough to significantly shorten the lifespan of the cells. The 246 on the other hand...

SCPD

QRT
Don't even use that ****piece charger (and feature) that the 396 includes. You are wasting your time (14 hours) and your money on the batteries. They will cook. I went through 2 sets of batteries in 3 months. Both had their capacities destroyed by that PIECE OF %#%@ charger/circuit the 396 includes.

Guess what I did? Best thing ever. Picked up a 4-pack of Sanyo 2700mah NiMH batteries at Dayton this year:

http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4864...H/AA-Premium/SANYO-2700mAh-AA-Ni-MH-cell.aspx

Then I bought the MAHA MH-C801D charger. My batteries take about 90 minutes to charge, and they last about 13-16 hours on receive. No more 14 hours charging time, and 4 hours of battery life.

Charger:

http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewitem.asp?idproduct=407

Screw Uniden's dumbass engineers who make garbage charging circuits. Buy good cells and a quality charger. You won't regret it; I promise!

Last edited:

JHaislet

If I flip the switch from NiMH to Alkaline inside the battery compartment, will that effectively turn off the charging circuit while still allowing me to keep NiMH batteries in the scanner & keep it plugged into the wall as well?

Mine also heats up pretty good & I really would prefer the charging feature turned off, while at the same time, being able to keep my nice Energizer 2500MAh rechargeables in the 396T.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
JHaislet said:
If I flip the switch from NiMH to Alkaline inside the battery compartment, will that effectively turn off the charging circuit while still allowing me to keep NiMH batteries in the scanner & keep it plugged into the wall as well?
Yes it will shut off the charging circuit.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
2500 mAh

Could 2500 mAh batteries be used in the BCD396T? Wouldn't they last longer (of course they would take longer to charge)?

What are the benefits and/or drawbacks of using higher mAh batteries?

My BCD396T does not get unusually warm, whether plugged in to an AC charger, plugged into DC charger (auto/car), or using the batteries. Of course, it does get slightly warm when it is plugged in and charging.

Some have reported that it gets somewhat warmer when the backlight is left on in combination with having it plugged into a charger. Again, not my case either.

safetyobc

I use both Duracell and Energizer 2500 mAh batteries. They work great.

A package of 4 Enegerizer's is around $10 at Wal-Mart. A package of 8 Duracell's is around $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.