BCD396T range question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Well I have had my 396T for almost 50 days now and I was wanted to get some feedback from other users. Just to provide some additional info, I use both the RS800 and the Diamond SRH77CA.

What I have noticed is the sensitivity still poor in some areas that I scan. I know this has to do with repeater location, weather, my positions, etc. What is the range of the 396 in miles? I live in one county which is about 10 miles from the base I work at. I live along the gulf coast and the area is flat. I am barely able to pick up the police or sheriffs departments in the other county (county line is only 5 miles away). I have to move the radio around to hear them. As soon as I travel those 10 miles to work, the signal is good. My 996 doesn't have this issue regardless where I am just using the stock antenna.

I'm almost tempted to get another 996 to mount in my Tahoe but then I would miss the portability. One test I did try, I connected my Scantenna to my 396 and it didn’t seem to improve either. The signal meter remained the same with the same quality of sound. My 996 on the scantenna, I can hear all the way into the next state.

Any suggestions or is this normal operations for this unit?

ervin1

im thinkin it has to do with yur location i also use the 396 and a rs800 antenna i can hear the next county which is 25 mi. either way and can hear dps corpus,victoria,peirce san antonio clearly.. yu sure yur not near a cellphone antennae this tends too affect yur reception.. at nite im also picking up alot of starnet out of galveston houston area too

Al42

It also has a lot to do with the design of the system. Philadelphia has a pretty good system, but 10 miles outside the city the signal drops off so much that it's difficult to receive. NYC's Citywide transmitter is rock solid 27 miles from the city. And a 2 meter amateur repeater near me is receivable 45 miles away, across a few pretty good sized hills. (It can receive a 5 watt portable from the same distance.)

gsxr4000

I don't know too much about scanning, but I do know after hooking the "wire" antenna that came with my bct8 up to my 396t...I am picking up PD all the way in NJ..and I'm on the far far eastern end of Long Island...about 75 miles away!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.