bcd396t

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannersnstuff

problem: was running my bcd396t and psr-500 side by side tonight.on 2 different unencrypted p25 digital system's psr-500 decoding voice perfectly.bcd396t picking up the signal,but not decoding it.the signal is coming thru as white noise.sound's like a encrypted signal.i'll be the first to admit that i don't have too much digital around me.the 396t was last used on digital a little over a month ago,and worked perfectly.anyone else ever have the same problem ?.do the decoder board's go bad ?.

af5rn

Are you sure the sound you are hearing isn't more similar to a control channel noise than a "white noise" or "encryption" noise? If it is, then that is a well known problem with the Unidens that comes and goes. The last firmware upgrade was supposed to address it, but failed. I was told something about manually adjusting some kind of P25 setting on the radio to improve it, but I have yet to figure that out.

If it is not a control channel sound you are hearing, then disregard what I just said, lol.

scannersnstuff

nope.first time ever,i tried the p25 adjusment.hold function key and tap scroll knob down twice.bring's you into menu on bottom of screen.i adjusted the p25 threshold from 8 <auto> to 20.no help.the noise is not "motorboating". the psr-500 is picking the signal up and decoding it.the 396 is picking the signal up,but not decoding it.sound's like you are listening to digital audio on a non digital scanner is about the best way to put it.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Is this a conventional channel (not programmed into a trunked system)? If so, be sure you don't have CTCSS/DCS Search turned on. Doing so would inhibit P25 decode and you would instead hear what you are describing.

scannersnstuff

upman

paul, thank you.i never realized that before.both digital channel's are conventional digital.i have my default set to squelch search.i had put the channel's in the "hold" mode just to listen to the signal.when i moved the 2 channel's to a system and made sure the ctcss was set to off they both started to decode the signal's. thank you again !.

Status
Not open for further replies.