BCD396XT scanner for p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeboyjames

Premium Subscriber
Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker IV Digital Police Scanner (BCD396XT)
Uniden (103)
I've recently moved back to the lorain ohio area and over the last two years I was gone they went to the p25 system

I'm looking for something not to expensive to get so I can listen as I'm sure more places will start going p25. My questions are is this a good scanner is it easy to program the p25 and what other software will I need to buy along with I have a external window mount antenna on my car will that still work with it I found the BCD396XT on amazon for a little under 400 is that a pod price this new digital stuff is new to me and I'm not sure if the price is good or not if anyone has any other options let me know also

Thanks guys

teufler

It appears that your county has nothing that the 396xt can not receive. The price seems resonable as the 436 and 536 are still not available wide spread. The software will be Proscan, which costs , and Freescan, which is Free. Both are very good software . You will need an sma to so-239 coax adapter which is about $3,00 to hook up the external antenna. Expect, about 5 hours, on the internal batteries so buy 2 4packs of rechargeable batteries. The radio speaker is loud in the house though mobile, with road noise, can be hard to hear at times. The radio is far easier to program with a computer, so you have a few options . First older computers have a serial port and the radio cable will plug in fine. Newer computers have dropped the serial port so you will get a usb to serial convertor or Uniden is now selling, a usb cable to radio cable. So older computer, no problem, newer computer, $20-$30 for the cables or adapters to talk to the radio. Other sources you might check are Ebay and Unidens factory referb section. I got mine from Uniden factory referb for $260 and the radio is fine. As for the "new" digital stuff, really its just another form, like modulation. We had AM, then FM, then NBFM, and finally Digital. Digital can sound alittle shallow, or sound like Donald Duck, but yoiu will be able to get what is being talked about. You will enjoy being able to hear base and mobile all the time.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I've used a 396XT as a vehicle scanner for "road trips".

For power, I got a cigarette lighter adapter and an amplified speaker for volume. There was also a GPS unit in the mix. Definitely lots of cables to get in the way, but the trips were pleasant scanning experiences.

ARC XT is another computer programming option, though it has a price.

homeboyjames

Premium Subscriber
We'll thanks guys ordered it from amazon 380 shipped don't know what all it comes with so I have to wait and see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.