BCD436HP/SDS100 Cutting Off Beginning of Transmissions, HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GermanSloth

Hi all, I have a BCD436HP and an SDS100, both mirrored with the same channels/favorites list. The favorites lists that I scan are composed of a mix of about 35-50 channels in total programmed. Some conventional, some P25 trunked, and some simulcast frequencies in there. Some favorites lists have all types mixed into one list. I don't normally scan a majority of them at once. Usually 2-4 Lists with a total of 10-15 channels. Often both scanners will cut off the beginning of a transmission. I’ll hear a response, but not much of the initial transmission. I will hear transmissions normally when a response is given quickly, the scan delay is set to 2 seconds post transmission. But the initial is cut off a bunch. I have set the conventional frequency delay from 400ms to 0ms. Squelch is set to 2. This delay happens regardless of frequency type, conventional, or trunking. Sometimes I’ll know there was a transmission, and they will sporadically pick them up, if at all. I’m trying to figure out what is causing it and how to remedy it. Any tips, advice, or solutions is greatly appreciated. I’m new to trunking scanners, and the Sentinel software.

tvengr

Well Known Member
How many systems and sites do you have programmed, A scanner will scan only one system or site at a time. Anytime you are scanning one system, you will miss the activity on other systems. That is probably why you are cutting into the middle of transmissions.

Ubbe

As soon as you scan a trunked system it will hold on that system for at least 1,5 sec. Scan 3 of those systems and it will take at least 4,5 sec to reach the conventional frequencies where a conversation could have started and you will then miss the first part of it.

You can set DND priority to all conventional system frequencies to see if it works more to your satisfaction. The only solution for trunked systems are to use your two scanners at the same time and divide up the trunked systems between them, or change one scanner to scan in reverse that might help. The more scanners, or radios, you have the more you'll hear. I have 10 scanners and radios running at the same time.

/Ubbe

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Can’t you set the delay time of trunked systems to zero time delay? Or does the radio still need that 1.5 sec to leave a trunked system that’s silent?

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Can’t you set the delay time of trunked systems to zero time delay? Or does the radio still need that 1.5 sec to leave a trunked system that’s silent?

The 1.5 seconds is to listen for activity on the control channel. If no activity, it moves on to the next.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative

You can by disabling it. ;) The scanner has to be able to decode the control channel in order to trunk the system.

IOW, it needs that time to evaluate the data that is sent on the control channel. It takes that long to get a complete picture of the activity.

wtp

it is the old
"the more you want to listen to, the less you will hear".
if you have 2 radios just put the trunking system all alone in one radio and everything else in the other.
that way you don't get the 1.5 or 2 seconds of 'housekeeping' for trunking.
delay on 2, hold on 0(zero)

Status
Not open for further replies.