BCD536HP and Memphis TN Fire and Police

LarryC1582

My company purchased a BCD536HP scanner to keep up with the happenings of Memphis Police and Fire near our corporate office. I used Sentenial to update the database and firmware. I put the precinct we wanted in favorites but I am not hearing anything. In the full database based on zip code I hear plenty of AR departments. Do I need to purchase a key from Uniden to be able to hear traffic from Memphis Police and Fire?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I believe the upgrades consist of ProVoice, DMR/MotoTRBO and NXDN. If what you care to listen to is not one of those, no additional cost for licensing is required.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Set your range to 0 (zero) since you're in the coverage area of what you're wanting to hear. If you leave it at the default of 25 you will pickup a lot of extra stuff outside of your desired area (because each site/frequency/whatever has a range set already).

Also, set your service types to what you want to receive (police and fire) and turn off the other stuff.

When I'm in Memphis I pickup plenty of MPD and MFD traffic.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Give this favorites list file a try. Save the attached zipped file to your computer and extract. Go to the File tab in Sentinel and click on Import from hpe file (Favorites List). Click on New Favorites List and name it: Memphis_ShelbyCo Click on OK. In the Downloads folder, open the extracted file. It will appear as a favorites list in Sentinel.

Attachments

• Memphis_ShelbyCo Fav.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 6

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Any chance you might be a victim of simulcast distortion?

One of the symptoms is signal strength indication but no or garbled audio. The 536 line of scanners is susceptible to this issue.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Any chance you might be a victim of simulcast distortion?

One of the symptoms is signal strength indication but no or garbled audio. The 536 line of scanners is susceptible to this issue.

Oh, good catch. Yeah, I think they do have two simulcast sites on that system...

tvengr

Well Known Member
Oh, good catch. Yeah, I think they do have two simulcast sites on that system...
The Memphis and Shelby County sites are both simulcast. Simulcast distortion can definitely be an issue with the BCD536HP. The only scanners specifically designed to receive simulcast sites are the SDS100 handheld and SDS200 base/mobile.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
Make sure you imported the sites as well as the TGs. (commonly missed)