Trying to put it all together in Albany

k2hz

Database Admin
3. What marine channels are used in the Port of Albany?

For Erie Canal and Troy Lock operations and general commercial Intership Safety communications on the Canal and Hudson River monitor Ch. 13 156.650. Note that VHF Marine channels are FM, not FMN.

Some other possible channels I can't verify are active:
Ch. 7 156.350 Lafarge Const. Matls. (Dock ?)
Ch. 9 156.450 Marinas, Yacht Clubs, etc..
Ch 78A 156.925 Albany Port Authority

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
FWIW - my only digital scanner is a BCD996P2, and mostly use that for Rensco P25 system. Everything else is analog scanners (PRO-2035, PRO-43, PRO-2001) )modest antennas, on a pole or in attic. NYSP 445 I can generally hear with a telescopic whip, but on a better antenna I can hear dispatches farther out of the Capital District. I keep a very cheap HT in my car's cupholder (Shhh...don't tell anyone), coming thru Latham yesterday near the airport (where the 'helicopters' are) I could hear some dispatches on 445. (BTW - Fav scanner is my Uniden BC75XLT with just the rubber duck antenna. There is still so much analog comms in the 518, that's the Lion's Share of my listening.)

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
I just always seem to miss half the convo when it comes to NYSP and RENSCO Sheriff's are unheard of on my scanner. But I want to really configure lists on this new SDS100 that I have and get things right.
I am just west of the ESP.
Just curious if maybe you have a portable analog VHF rcvr (rubber duck antenna, etc) and just park on 445, and put radio in different spots at your QTH. Maybe get away from a null perhaps. I would think NYSP has a tower on the Helderbergs and should be line of sight to you. I know on my analog receives w/outside antennas, I'll hear COMSEC dispatches on 445 for calls out in Wells, NY (Sacandaga area), Whitehall, Schoharie Cnty, etc. So I must be picking up other transmitters beyond the Capital District. Since I have multiple analog scanners, I'll listen to 445 on one, and have 680/665 on the other, and I'll listen for the unit to respond. Which is a good indicator of how close they are. hang in there :)

KB2GOM

Anyone who is interested in Radio Monitoring is cordially invited to listen to or participate in the The Radio Monitoring Net on Tuesday evenings at 7 pm on the 146.94 repeater on Bald Mountain in Troy, NY.

Here's the info on the net from the Big 94 website:

The Radio Monitoring Net​

Join net control Jock Elliott, KB2GOM, on The Big 94 Repeater Tuesday nights at 7pm for The Radio Monitoring Net.
The mission of The Radio Monitoring Net is:
 To monitor the radio spectrum from DC to daylight, looking for the usual and the expected as well as the weird, the strange, the anomalous, the pirates, and the outlaws.
 To share that information with Net participants.
 To encourage others to join our merry band of monitors.

Net control, Jock Elliott, KB2GOM, can be reached at jock@swling.net

In addition, we have a "useful goodies" email blast that is sent out after the net which may contain a wide variety of information about various radio monitoring topics from SWLing to scanning to ham to numbers stations, etc.

The archive for the Useful Goodies can be accessed here: Useful Goodies from the Monitoring Net

The website for the Big 94 repeater is here: The Big 94 - K2RHI - Troy, New York

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveNF2G

Premium Subscriber
Anyone who is interested in Radio Monitoring is cordially invited to listen to or participate in the The Radio Monitoring Net on Tuesday evenings at 7 pm on the 146.94 repeater on Bald Mountain in Troy, NY.

Here's the info on the net from the Big 94 website:

The Radio Monitoring Net​

Join net control Jock Elliott, KB2GOM, on The Big 94 Repeater Tuesday nights at 7pm for The Radio Monitoring Net.
The mission of The Radio Monitoring Net is:
 To monitor the radio spectrum from DC to daylight, looking for the usual and the expected as well as the weird, the strange, the anomalous, the pirates, and the outlaws.
 To share that information with Net participants.
 To encourage others to join our merry band of monitors.

Net control, Jock Elliott, KB2GOM, can be reached at jock@swling.net

In addition, we have a "useful goodies" email blast that is sent out after the net which may contain a wide variety of information about various radio monitoring topics from SWLing to scanning to ham to numbers stations, etc.

The archive for the Useful Goodies can be accessed here: www.KC2IDF.com/UG

The website for the Big 94 repeater is here: The Big 94 - K2RHI - Troy, New York
404 on the Useful Goodies archive.