BCD436HP/BCD536HP: BCD536HP Cannot Connect via USB

ckqualls

Premium Subscriber
I've been out of the hobby for years, so learning again. I connected my Windows 11 laptop to my BCD536HP via USB, and when I try to write to it (Scanner, Write) it comes up to microSD, no option for USB.

What am I doing wrong?

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
You should always read the scanner first, to preserve any avoids etc. Then add or modify, then write back. Are you selecting mass when prompted?

N9JIG

Sheriff
Be sure the scanner is in Mass Storage Mode. When you plug in the USB cable it should come up on the radio screen, press the "E" to go to Mass Storage More. The SD Card should soon thereafter show up in Windows with a drive letter and also in the popup window when you select Write to Scanner.

ckqualls

Premium Subscriber
Be sure the scanner is in Mass Storage Mode. When you plug in the USB cable it should come up on the radio screen, press the "E" to go to Mass Storage More. The SD Card should soon thereafter show up in Windows with a drive letter and also in the popup window when you select Write to Scanner.
Did that, nothing comes up on the scanner screen nor computer (Sentinel) screen. Press the E button, nothing happens.

I don't think its a cable issue. I first tried plugging into the USB C port, then tried plugging into the USB A port with another cable. Tried both USB ports on the computer. I know both work because I use them for other applications.

I just noticed on the scanner's screen, right center, there is an icon with ! (exclamation point) next to it.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner, RRDB & Google-fu ninja 4 hire
Premium Subscriber
Is the scanner powered on when you connect the USB-mini to USB-A cable? You're plugging into the port encircled below? If you tried more than one USB-mini to A cable to no avail then you could be dealing with a faulty port
1722109683913.png

I just noticed on the scanner's screen, right center, there is an icon with ! (exclamation point) next to it.
A Look at the Display
Appears to show Wi-Fi status is not connected (BCD536HP Only).1722109913444.png

N9JIG

Sheriff
Yes, you need to use the USB-Mini port on the front of the scanner as shown in Whiskey3JMC's post above, the rear port is for the WiFi dongle only. (There is no USB-C port on the scanner.)

Alternately you can program the 536 via the SD Card with an SD Card reader, it will work the same way, just select it with the appropriate drive letter when writing to the scanner.

ckqualls

Premium Subscriber
It was the USB port. I was using the wrong one. The mini works great.

Thanks to everyone for your help.