BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pathfinder46

Trying to get my county highway department programmed on my scanner but it's been a bear to say the least. Their tower is so close to I can see it from my backyard, easily less than 1/4 mile away! I have appended it to my favorites list and "activated" it also but it has done no good. I know the frequencies,system I.D.,site connect tone, longitude,latitude,range and site 026(1A)! I've read the manual,watched videos,etc. I really miss adding those channels manually like you could do on those old scanners.I figure I'm missing a step somewhere but I have only had this scanner two weeks ago today. I've had scanners for over forty years but new to this digital age. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Trying to get my county highway department programmed on my scanner but it's been a bear to say the least. Their tower is so close to I can see it from my backyard, easily less than 1/4 mile away! I have appended it to my favorites list and "activated" it also but it has done no good. I know the frequencies,system I.D.,site connect tone, longitude,latitude,range and site 026(1A)! I've read the manual,watched videos,etc. I really miss adding those channels manually like you could do on those old scanners.I figure I'm missing a step somewhere but I have only had this scanner two weeks ago today. I've had scanners for over forty years but new to this digital age. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Welcome pathfinder to the most complicated scanner I have ever owned. I will try and help. Go to the Sentinel software and click "edit profile". Under the first tab make sure monitor and download are turned on. Go to the next tab "service types" and make sure the boxes are checked for all of OTHER, PUBLIC WORKS, and TRANSPORTATION. Go to the tab "Quick key status" and make sure the boxes that you have assigned your favorite quick keys to are checked.

Note: That is something you will need to make sure you did when you set up your favorites. Each favorite, system, and departments will need to be assigned a quick key.

Press Range on the front of the scanner and enter "50" for the range.

Here is a link to a much easier manual:
Easier to Read BCD436/536 Digital Scanner Manual

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
In the Profile Editor, check the SERVICE TYPES tab (or on the radio under edit favorites) and make sure the Service type listed for the talk groups you are trying to receiver and turned on.

To begin, it might be best to pull up the scanners menu, select SERVICE TYPES and just turn them all on, until you get the hang of it.

pathfinder46

Welcome pathfinder to the most complicated scanner I have ever owned. I will try and help. Go to the Sentinel software and click "edit profile". Under the first tab make sure monitor and download are turned on. Go to the next tab "service types" and make sure the boxes are checked for all of OTHER, PUBLIC WORKS, and TRANSPORTATION. Go to the tab "Quick key status" and make sure the boxes that you have assigned your favorite quick keys to are checked.

Note: That is something you will need to make sure you did when you set up your favorites. Each favorite, system, and departments will need to be assigned a quick key.

Press Range on the front of the scanner and enter "50" for the range.

Here is a link to a much easier manual:
Easier to Read BCD436/536 Digital Scanner Manual
Okay I have done what you advised but on service types on the scanner itself what service types are turned on can be turned off. but for the ones which are not on or off, you cannot make any changes either way. While in the sentinel software I almost all of them checked but it is "not" carrying over too the scanner. So I'm still doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.

pathfinder46

In the Profile Editor, check the SERVICE TYPES tab (or on the radio under edit favorites) and make sure the Service type listed for the talk groups you are trying to receiver and turned on.

To begin, it might be best to pull up the scanners menu, select SERVICE TYPES and just turn them all on, until you get the hang of it.
On service types I have tried that and the only service types that are turned on, can I turn off but I cannot turn "on" or "off" any others and therein lies my problem, I think! Thank you for your help!

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Okay I have done what you advised but on service types on the scanner itself what service types are turned on can be turned off. but for the ones which are not on or off, you cannot make any changes either way. While in the sentinel software I almost all of them checked but it is "not" carrying over too the scanner. So I'm still doing something wrong. Thank you for your help.

There are three possibilities for SERVICE TYPES in the scanner:

ON - It will receive those
OFF - It will not receiver those
--- dashed line...it did not find any entries in the currently selected set of favorites which have that service type as part of the favorite, so it doesnt offer the choice to turn it on or off.

pathfinder46

Henry County Highway uses Mototrbo. You will not be able to hear it with your scanner.
I wonder why a county highway department would use such a secretive system? I could understand a law enforcement agency doing this but a county highway department using it kind of just "boggles" my mind! Could you explain just what type of system this is that they are using? Thank you!

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Not sure why you think MotoTRBO is secretive. MotoTRBO is not encrypted. However, there are no current scanners that can monitor MotoTRBO.

MotoTRBO is Motorola's take on the DMR radio standard. DMR is in use pretty much world-wide and many radio manufacturers support DMR. It's my understanding that DMR is a fairly open standard, however no scanner manufacturers have chosen to support it. You could probably buy a used MotoTRBO radio--they are readily available in the second-hand market--and have it programmed to listen to your county highway department.

My county highway department installed a Kenwood NXDN-capable repeater. NXDN is another digital radio standard that is gaining wide use. NXDN is also a fairly open standard, but no scanner manufacturers have chosen to support it. Should my county highway department decide to upgrade all of their radios to NXDN and activate the NXDN features in their repeater, I won't be able to hear them with today's scanners. That doesn't make their communications "secret", just inaccessible.

pathfinder46

Not sure why you think MotoTRBO is secretive. MotoTRBO is not encrypted. However, there are no current scanners that can monitor MotoTRBO.

MotoTRBO is Motorola's take on the DMR radio standard. DMR is in use pretty much world-wide and many radio manufacturers support DMR. It's my understanding that DMR is a fairly open standard, however no scanner manufacturers have chosen to support it. You could probably buy a used MotoTRBO radio--they are readily available in the second-hand market--and have it programmed to listen to your county highway department.

My county highway department installed a Kenwood NXDN-capable repeater. NXDN is another digital radio standard that is gaining wide use. NXDN is also a fairly open standard, but no scanner manufacturers have chosen to support it. Should my county highway department decide to upgrade all of their radios to NXDN and activate the NXDN features in their repeater, I won't be able to hear them with today's scanners. That doesn't make their communications "secret", just inaccessible.
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
I wonder why a county highway department would use such a secretive system? I could understand a law enforcement agency doing this but a county highway department using it kind of just "boggles" my mind! Could you explain just what type of system this is that they are using? Thank you!

I've noticed several entities adding TRBO or NXDN to their licenses of late. I think it's mostly $$$ related along with the need to meet narrowbanding requirements. You get quite a bit of capability for the money with most TRBO or NXDN radios. I don't know the cost breakdown, but I would think the average TRBO/NXDN radio is quite a bite cheaper than one of the standard public service type Motorola, Kenwood or EF Johnson radios. Especially if you consider the cost vs. features.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the "privacy" (no scanners) of TRBO or NXDN wasn't at least mentioned in the sales pitch.

Jeff.

Status
Not open for further replies.